FOUNDATION Fieldbus

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

API function call to Set the node address of FF-H1 device and which dll I must use?

Good Morning Community,

In the document "NI-FBUS  Communications Manager Function Reference Manual" the function call for basic use of a configurated FF Device is explained. I work with "NationalInstruments.Fieldbus.dll" NI USB-8486  to communicated with my FF-H1 devices, but I can only communicated if the node address is not equal to the default address (e.g. 248). The problem is that I can indeed read the node addresse but do not set, over the used DLL. Therefore my questions: If everybody knows, which DLL I must use to set the node address of an device and with which package NI distributed this Dynamic Link Library.

Thanks

Ebbe  

P.S. Third question: Is everybody knows the name of the Function call to set the node address?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(8,495 Views)

Of all the APIs provided by NI-FBUS Communication Manager, only VI API has functions like set node address/tag, while C and .NET don't provide such functions.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(8,481 Views)

The reason that you can't communicate with the device with the address if it's 248 is probably because it's already taken by other devices?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(8,480 Views)

No there is no other device on the bus segment. The USB device send the message that the device is available but you can't open the block objects because the device is on default address. This I would expect so since, according to FF specification is an object access on devices with base addresses not allowed. Therefore I'am look for a technical programming ability to change the node address NI USB-8486 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(8,472 Views)

Hi Ebbe Sand,

I'm sorry I could not understand what you explained (the English). But regarding changing address of USB-8486 programatically, you can do it with VI API provided by NI-FBUS Communication Manager.

By using SetAddress.vi, you can programatically do it.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(8,469 Views)

Dear LewisL,

could you ask me where I can find the SetAddress.vi ?

With best regards

Ebbe_Sand

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(8,466 Views)

Hi Ebbe_Sand,

To use VI API you needs LabVIEW 2009-2012 + NI-FBUS software installed.

And in the block digram window of a LabVIEW window, it's under Industrial Communications>>Foundation Fieldbus>>FF Set Device Address.vi

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(8,464 Views)