From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FIRST Tech Challenge Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! How to program a motor to turn in certain degrees?

i. we are trying to program a 6th moter to turn only 30 degrees, then turn back to its original position. We have never used a button on the joystick to do this. Can anyone give us the full code for this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,327 Views)

Can you explain a bit more about what you are trying to do?  I presume you mean a DC motor and you are looking to turn it X degrees (90, 180) etc.  If so, why are you using a DC motor instead of a servo?  DC motors are not really intended to reliably move a certian numebr of degrees. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,404 Views)

If you are using a DC Motor, you could get some pretty good results using an attached encoder.  There's an encoder tutorial here:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/community/academic/student_competitions/frc/blog/2015/01/16/encoder-f...

Otherwise, I agree with Eddie that a servo would work better in this case as servos are designed to move to precise positions.  A stepper motor might serve well too.  You could figure out how many steps it took to move 30 degrees and hard-code that number.

-Jim B
Applications Engineer, National Instruments
CLD, CTD
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,404 Views)