From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems With Finishing Robot Project

Hello Community!

I'm very excited to join a community that is centered around Robots. (I'm in love with robots!)

Anyway, my team and I are having problems with finishing the 2012 Robot Project (Simple Motor Control). We have everything we need installed from the USBs - all the updates and everything. I'm my teams lead programmer and everytime I try to finish the project, it stops and crashes. An error pops up.

The part I get stuck on is where I have to put the Start Communication and Stop Communication boxes into the Block Diagram. I've tried to recover the files but once they're "recovered", only the Front Panel comes back. The Block Diagram is nowhere to be found.

I'm stuck right now, so please help me out. Any comments will be helpful.

Thank you!

(One other question: Is it possible that I could transfer LabVIEW to another lap top and I'd still be able to program our robot from that lap top? Furthermore, can I still program without being connected to the RT CompactRIO Target!)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,473 Views)

Hey,

Did you install the updates listed here:https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-20147? It sounds like their was an installation issue with the LabVIEW Update for FRC. Do you have any antivirus software running - if so turn it off. Do you have administrator priviledges on the PC you are installing LabVIEW on?

To answer your second question. You can use another computer to program with LabVIEW. You don't need to be connected tot he cRIO to work on your program - just to deploy it to the cRIO and test it.

Kevin Fort
Principal Software Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,668 Views)

Thank you very much Kevin_F for your input. Your advice was helpful.

After fixing our Robot Project issue, I've managed to run into another problem. I'm to the point where I'm able to test the motors, but I can't seem to get it running. The motors do not turn or respond at all. Everything is connected properly and the cRIO is downloading my commands. However, the motor isn't responding at all.

Do you have any advice concerning that?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,668 Views)

Hey,

There are a couple of other threads on here that have other teams debug steps for this issue but so summarize the major debug steps-

• Try running the code by clicking on the run arrow
  • If deploying the exe, make sure it's set to Run at start up
  • Make sure that Teleop is enabled
  • Check for any error messages in the Driver Station window
  • If using ribbon cable make sure the connector is on the right way
  • Make sure there aren't any bent pins on the DIO module
  • Check PWM signals from Digital Side Car -are you getting any kind of signal coming from the sidecar pins -check a simple digital output
  • Check Jaguars are powered
  • Check Diagnostics in Driver Station for Watchdog Errors. If receiving watchdog errors connect directly to bridge and move bridge away from electrically noisy components such as the DC-DC converter.
Kevin Fort
Principal Software Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,668 Views)