From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Adding a Motor Control for Joystick Trigger

Solved!
Go to solution

I am an adult coach helping our rookie High School team with our First Robotics Competition robot. We are using LabVIEW to control the left wheels with the left joystick y-axis, and the right wheels with the right joystick y-axis. We would like to add a third motor control using the right joystick for the rope climber, but I am unsure how to do this in LabVIEW. I assume it would send a PWM signal through the third slot on the roboRIO (PWM 2). Are there tutorials or example code I can view to learn how this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,699 Views)

Just to make sure I understand what you area asking,

You guys have the two wheal motors working but want a third motor to climb with. but you don't know how to configure the third motor?

Take a look at this example:

From anywhere in LabVIEW Click Help -> Find Examples...

Navigate to the FRC Robotics / RoboRIO / Robot and Motor

double click Motor Control.lvproj

Expand the roboRIO and double click Motor Control.vi

Here is a screen shot of it with some added notes:

motor example.png

To make it work with a Joystick, pull one of the axis and wire it to the same place as the "Speed (-1 to 1)" control. (You can look at the joystick Input.lvproj under the Joystick folder for an example on how to read the axis)

Let me know if this helps.

Ryan

Message 2 of 5
(4,676 Views)

Thank you for your helpful reply. I was able to open Motor Control.vi and Joystick Input and wire the axis to Speed. However, I don't understand your notes to 'PUT THIS IN' different vi. How do I put those subVI into the correct Begin.vi, Teleop.vi, and Finish.vi?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,640 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MetalEagles

Your Begin.vi , Teleop vi and Finish vi should look something similar to mine

This is my Teleop vi.

teleop.PNGfinish.PNGAbove this line is my Finish vi.

This is my Begin vi.

teleop.PNG

Message 4 of 5
(4,637 Views)

Thank you for that second post! The robot is working perfectly now, couldn't have done it without you!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,629 Views)