FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2012 and LabVIEW FRC

Hello,

I am a new programming mentor for this comepetition. I am trying to get our team going with learning LabVIEW. I have about 5 years of experience with LabVIEW myself. I am a little confused about the LabVIEW FRC update. So if I have a regular copy of LabVIEW 2012 installed, can I just download and install the FRCLabVIEWUpdate (http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/2261/lang/en) as well as the two other updates and have a LabVIEW installation that will be similar to what is used in the competition? Or is LabVIEW FRC a completely different base installation and then this FRCLabVIEWUpdate is for that specific FRC flavor of LabVIEW?

install

Does the LabVIEW FRC also handle plugin modules? I would like to have the students play around with the Robotics Module which has the built in 3-D simulation software but I don't want to install it on the computers only to find that the LabVIEW FRC update makes them unusable.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,145 Views)

The current FRC update is built on top of LabVIEW 2011 as the base (it was produced last year).

I'd have to look to remember all the packages, like Vision & RT, that are included.

Each team received the particular FRC base on a stick in the Kit-of-Parts. It's not available for download from NI.

It will change over to LabVIEW 2012 when they release next season's version by Kickoff on January 5.

You can add additional plugins if you like.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,698 Views)

Hey Brian,

To add a couple of things to what Mark said. If you have LabVIEW 2012, Real-Time Module, Robotics Module, Vision Development Module, PID Toolkit already installed and licensed then you can just install the updates.  The special part about the FRC install is it turns all those different modules into a single activatable product so if you are missing some you will want to start with a fresh install from the DVD in the Kit of Parts.

Kevin

Kevin Fort
Principal Software Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,698 Views)