Dynamic Signal Acquisition

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

out of memory is full error

I am using SE to export 4 channels of 1M samples. It works OK on the first gourp of 5 but I got a "LabView memory is full" error while less than 1Gb of memory is alocated.

VI "csd_subDataTypeAsyncInvokeC,nd.vi:1" was stopped at node "" At a call to "csd_mxwCopyStringToClipboard.vi:2"

System is using 59% of 8GB. There should be plenty of ram for this. This was the 6th export. It acts l.ike the memory is not being released from the previous export. I closed signal express and reopened the project and exported the 6th file without any problems. I did another set off 11 with no errors.

I installed 3.0 last Friday. This is the 3rd time this week to have this error.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(8,126 Views)

Hey John,

What format are you exporting these samples to (Excel, TDMS)? If you don't mind, can you upload a simplified version of your code so we can take a look at it?  

If you're saving to an Excel spreadsheet, my suspicion is that you are exporting way more samples than Excel can handle. Even if you change the Data option under Tools>>Options to -1, this still exceeds the number of values that Excel can handle (Excel 2007 can take 1 Million rows and just over 16,000 columns; earlier versions of Excel accept less).  My suggestion is to either manipulate your sampling rate or time of acquisition to be within the constraints of Excel.

-John Sullivan
Problem Solver
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(8,104 Views)

HI John,

Sorry this took so long. I thought I had responded to this and was waiting for an answer... Looks like my response did not make it to the system.

1. I am exporting to Excel 2007

2. I had been able to export with no problem until I installed 3.0, 2.5.1 worked fine.

3. "Can you upload a simplified version of your code so we can take a look at it?" No, there is no code. I recorded a sample, expand the log, right click on voltage, and export to Excel.

4. I do not think this is a setup problem; it works fine more than 90% of the time. 3.0 has never given me a problem in the first 10 exports.  2.5.1 Never had this problem.

5. With 2.5.1 an export of more than Excel's max rows gives a message that the rows past max rows would not be exported. 2,000,000 rows did not stop the export

6. The error occurred when SE had less than 1 GB of memory allocated. I have never seen more than 1 GB allocated to SE.

7. There were more than 5GB of memory free, most of which could have been allocated.

8. I get the out of memory error almost every day.

9 if you ask me to call next time I get the error it may never error again. :smileyhappy:

Thank you,

John

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(8,043 Views)

John,

A couple of points to look at here.  First, since Signal Express is a 32-bit program, it can only address memory up to roughly 4 GB.  It is entirely plausible, also, that your operating system is using a portion of this memory as well.  While your operating system may be able to address over the 32-bit 4 GB limit, there is no guarantee that the OS will choose a different 4 GB than that which Signal Express is able to use. Thus, when Signal Express goes to post all of your data to the clipboard, then open Excel, the combined memory usage of your OS, Signal Express, Excel, and the information on the clipboard could definitely be exceeding this 4 GB RAM.

Another consideration is that you will need enough contiguous memory to store your data in the clipboard.  From the way you describe the problem, this would be my guess as to the source of your problem.  Even if you have 3 GB of that 4 GB RAM available, if there is not a contiguous chunk large enough to store all your Excel data, then you will receive this memory error.  For more information, please refer to this KnowledgeBase (KB):

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/C3C516C11184AF3F862571B5006B46E1?OpenDocument

As a work around, I would recommend reviewing this KB article on increasing your Virtual Memory:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/9C654BF862C049C786256CC4005EA4AD?OpenDocument

While these KB articles are specific to LabVIEW, the information is valid for Signal Express as well.

Seth B.
Principal Test Engineer | National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(8,027 Views)

John,

I'm assuming you're running Signal Express on a 64-bit Windows OS (otherwise you'll be limited to ~3.5 GB accessible RAM), but as Seth mentions it's a 32 bit application and likely limited to 2 GB application memory. At the risk of pointing out something extemely obvious, but which affected me when I first used SE, are the logs being stored with the project (see Tools...Options...General and Tools...Options...Logging tabs)? If so, you can quickly run out of memory as data from previous runs accumulates. You should be able to check this be looking at the Logs folder in the Project View window.

Mark

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(7,960 Views)