From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Dynamic Signal Acquisition

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

difference between simple DAQ card and FPGA based DAQ card(like PCI 7831R)

Could any one tell me, where should i use simple DAQ card and where should i use FPGA based DAQ card ? if i can take data acquisition from simple DAQ card then why we go to the FPGA based DAQ cards(like PCI 7831R) ?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(6,631 Views)

Hello,

The choice of card depends on the application that you develop. For example, you’d better use FPGA if you need a perfect synchronization of several acquisition chains as FPGA matrix will adapt in the way that your channels will be separated and will no use common resources. Another example of FPGA application can be acquisition of several chains of the data that demands very high sampling frequency (FPGA internal frequency can be up to 400MHz).

When using FPGA you have to program signal acquisition “from the beginning”, I mean that there are no standard tasks as, for example, “counting edges”. But due to this you can modify standard tasks of DAQ acquisition if you need it.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(6,063 Views)