From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Dynamic Signal Acquisition

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCi-4472 24-bits of resolution and Labview6.1

I try to read 24 bits data from the PCI-4472 with Labview and after record the data into a binary file. Although the DAQ have a resolution of 24-bits I can't find Vi to read those 24-bits (it seems that Data Acquisition VIs acquire only 16-bits data). So anyone know if there is a solution to keep the 24-bits resolution?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(6,237 Views)
Dear User,

Thank you for using the NI Developer Zone.

In LabVIEW the only way to get 24 bits data from the NI-4472 is to use the AI READ function with Scaled data and the selected data type. It is not possible at this moment to read more than 16 bits in binary representation.

So what I suggest you is to store the acquired scaled data in binary format, instead of reading the binary data straight from the board.

Best Regards,
Omar De Andrade
Applications Engineer - National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(6,237 Views)
Maybe there is a work-around to your problem.
Hires ADC internally use filter-techniques combined with hi-speed sampling to get the high resolution you want.
You could try and do the same thing with labview-routines.
So look for the highest sample-frequency that gives you 16 bits resolution and let your board sample at that freq. Now do a 64 sample-average of the samples.
In theory, that gives you an increase of 8 bits, the 24 bit you want.

Patrick de Boevere
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(6,237 Views)