From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Dynamic Signal Acquisition

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to share dynamic data data of a PXI embedded controller with a remote PC

Hi,

Beside reflective memory, I would like to know what is the most efficient way to share 200 kHz data measured with a PXI chassis and embedded controller with another PC. Just to describe the setup, we are planning to write some Labview software to process the data in real-time, but we also want to keep some old legacy software that need this data for post processing.

The concern I have is that the processing done on the embedded controller is very intensive and I am looking for the way that will be the least demanding to the CPU, but capable to transfer all data wihtout loosing any (16 channels, 200 kHz).

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(6,124 Views)

I would rank your options this way (with #1 being the least demanding on your controller's memory):

1. FTP from the PC to the controller's hard drive, copy over the data, and then delete it. This way, the PC is doing all the work, and the controller is left to just gather data and do its own processing. The catch is that your network capabilities will determine how fast you can do this. Also, you'd have to make sure you aren't deleting data the controller hasn't processed yet.

2. Store the data in Shared Variables, so that both the controller and the PC can see and use the variables in real-time as they are updated. However, lots of shared variables = very messy code.

3. TCP/IP is your last option for transferring data. It will be the most demanding on the controller since it will need to open and close ports and handshake.

With all of these, you shouldn't lose any data if it's programmed properly.

Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(6,106 Views)