Dynamic Signal Acquisition

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to design a microphone array to find direction of sound source using 4472?

I am trying to implement Labview to find the Time delay of arrival of a single sound source. How can do that using NI 4472 DAQ device?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(9,647 Views)
Nil,

You may want to take a look at the "Cont Acq Snd Pressure Samples-Int Clk.vi" example that is available from the NI Example finder. This VI acquires data continuously but you may want to trigger the acquisition on the start of your sound source. If you do not have a source you will need an analog output board as well. The best way to time the delay may be to take a voltage reading directly from the source on one DSA channel and compare it to another channel reading from the microphone array. You can then use the native LabVIEW functions to grab the system time when the source starts on the channel reading from the source and compare it to the system time clock when the pulse arrives on the channel reading from the microphone. I hope this resource helps!

Regards,

Shea C
Applications
NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(9,599 Views)
I am attempting to do the same application using hydrophones. nil (or anyone else), did you have any success using this board for your application? Care to post a summary of the design and results? Also, does anyone have experience using this board (or any other dsa or daq board) to do sonar applications? I am having a hard time figuring out a couple aspects, namely amplifying the received signal to useful values, and being able to transmit a ping to the hydrophone.
Any and all responses are appreciated.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(9,396 Views)
Hi, nil,

First you can use Measurement & Automation Explore to check your hardware. It will appear in My System -> Devices and Interfaces -> NI-DAQmx Devices. Select 4472, and click Test Panels menu. I'm not sure if your microphones need ICP supply, but I guess most of the array microphones need this. So you need to enable the IEPE, and make sure choosing AC Coupling. Change the Acquisition Mode to Continuous. You can test if your microphones is working well one by one.

You can refer to Hardware Input and Output -> DAQmx -> Analog measurements ->Sound Pressure -> Cont Acq Snd Pressure Samples-Int Clk VI.

If you use more that 8 microphones, you have to use more than one 4472 boards. You need to synchonize the signals received by different boards. A good example is Hardware Input and Output -> DAQmx -> Synchronization -> Multi-Device -> Multi Device Sync-AI-Shared Timebase & Trig-DSA VI.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(9,385 Views)
We may release some example code in the form of a start-up kit to make this easier in the near future that can be used to find the direction of a sound source. It might make it easier to get this done. If you are interested you can contact me at : kurt.veggeberg@ni.com
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(9,194 Views)