From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Dynamic Signal Acquisition

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ENB and jitter of NI PXI-4461 board?

Hello!

I have 2 questions concerning the NI PXI-4461 board:

1) I wonder the equivalent number of bit (ENB) of the ADCs of NI 4461 board? I know that they have 24-bit sigma-delat converters but does the ENB depend on the signal frequency or/and sampling frequency?

2) What is the jitter that affect the sampling frequency ?

I tanks you in advance,

Best regards,

Frédéric

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,782 Views)

Hi Frédéric,

You can find the information about the Effective Number of Bits (ENOB) on this KB. This KB is written for 449x devices, but those card are also DSA cards with delta-sigma ADCs. So you can use it for your PXI 4461.

You can find the Total Harmonic Distortion Plus Noise (THD+N) you need to calculate the ENOB on page 9 in the specs.

About your second question, I am not sure to understand what you are asking. Can you explain it please ?

Best regards,

Sarah BL

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(5,754 Views)

Hi Sarah,

Many thanks for your answare!

Following the informations you gave me, the ENOB at a sampling frequency of 200 kS/s on the range gain of 10 dB (+-3.16 V) is only 17.85 bit !!! The dynamic range DR is 110 dB (see page 8 of the specs) and the formula is ENOB = (DR - 1.7609) / 6.0206.

I understand the DR=110 dB is only the "typical" value but the resulting ENOB of 17.8 bit is well below the nominal 24 bit of resolution!!

Concerning my second question: with a sampling frequency of fs=200 kS/s, the board will give me a value every dt=1/fs=5 us. The jitter I am looking for is the stability of this dt!

I hope that my second question is clearer?

I thanks you in advance!

Best regards,

Frédéric

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(5,751 Views)