Dynamic Signal Acquisition

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Challenging problem of mimicing hardware screen button choices.

I have an old HP 8757D Scalar Network Analyzer. Since some of the buttons no longer work, I want to use Labview to control all the buttons on the hardware. I can do that and just send the command with the computer. On the main screen of the analyzer, there are eight different buttons. I cannot query to get the buttons (what the choices are), so if I press lets say the calibration button (not one of the onscreen buttons), I need to display in eight different text boxes the eight different choices. Then if I press one of the eight different choices, sometimes eight or less new choices come up on the screen, and then I will need to display those. I do not know what is the best way going about this. If I
try case by case by case, it will not only be tedious but the eight text boxes will have multiple sources and Labview has problems with that. If I try cases in cases, which seems better, I still have the problem of what happens after pressing two buttons - the buttons texts that appear depend on the buttons that have already been pressed (and the order in which they have been pressed). Does anyone have any strategies?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,790 Views)
There are several approaches you could take to solve this problem. It might be most fun to use custom Run-Time menus to allow the user to choose what command to execute. Run-time menus allow you to save space, and the user could choose one command that would yield a choice of several other commands, which could cascade to as many layers as you like. You could then use a constant string array that correlate with the different menu choices.

I have attached a very simple VI with a custom run-time menu. The user can select any command and get a unique tag value, which you could then use to select the command you will send to your network analyzer.
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(5,790 Views)