From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Dynamic Signal Acquisition

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brüel&Kjaer Type 4393 V accelerometer sensitivity

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi ,

I recently installed NI Signal Express with Sound & Vibration Toolkit, while configuring the sensitivity of the B&K accelerometer 4393 V, I find the sensitivity is defined on NI Signal Express with V/g but it's definitely on the B&K accelerometer with pC/g (cf. The attached fig).

Until now I didn't find any conversion possible to input the correct value of the sensitivity in NI Signal Express.

Hoping to find some help from you, I'll be so thankful.

Regards 

A.S.B

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(11,695 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Saad@cbe

Ok Smiley Mad , I spent the whole day trying to find the solution of this ''imaginary'' problem.

According to  Brüel& Kjaer , I need a physical converter ( Type 2647 ) to have a 1 Volt for 1 pC but this converter needs a feeding on ICP by the DAQ.

But according to NI , the NI 9234 DAQ has to ability to convert the pC automatically to V without any need to the physical converter and it feeds the accelerometer by ICP.

To summarize, just put the accelerometer in BCN connection and make your acquisition.

Done.

ASB

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(11,686 Views)

I took a quick look at your accelerometer, and I a pretty sure that the information you got from B&K is correct, and you are going to need that Charger Converter in order to properly measure the accelerometer with the 9234. Here is some reference material for you... I recommend jumping down to the "Charge Mode Accelerometers" paragraph, which I believe describes the accelerometer that you are using.

http://www.pcb.com/techsupport/tech_accel.aspx#.Up4peMSfiKs

Cheers!
Logan

Message 3 of 9
(11,677 Views)

Thanks Logan ,

But according to NI Technician, there's no need to charge converter. The QDAC do the conversion because it feed the sensor with ICP.

I tested it and it gives me the same data  as with the B&K charge converter.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(11,672 Views)

Your sensor is a charge source with XX pC/ms²

Together with it's capacitance (and more worse: the cable capacity and the input impedance) a charge convert to a voltage U=Q/C. That voltage is what you measure with your DAQ card.

Even more annoing is the effect of cable microphonie : Move the cable and it's capactance will change, so will the measured voltage.

Believe me, if you want to make reasonable measurements with this sensor you will absolutely need a charge amplifier to get a voltage

or (if your DAQ supports IEPE) a charge to IEPE conditioner.

Here I build a tube based one, but building a stable good charge amplifier is an art. 😉

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 5 of 9
(11,649 Views)

Saad@cbe wrote:

But according to NI , the NI 9234 DAQ has to ability to convert the pC automatically to V without any need to the physical converter and it feeds the accelerometer by ICP.

ASB

Wrong: The 9234 supports ICP (=IEPE) accelerometers. ICP accelerometers have a charge to voltage converter already build in.

But you don't have a ICP sensor.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 6 of 9
(11,643 Views)

I have already the converter ...so even if the 9234 don't work, as NI said, The output to my DAQ is in Volt.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(11,641 Views)

I've got B&K Deltatron (IEPE???) 4396 and 4519 Sensors. They have pre-installed charge converter 2646. Data sheet says that it must have 2...20 mA constant current supply. If I use NI 9234, I'll have IEPE excitation current 2,0...2,1 mA. Is it the currrent that I need for correct work of the sensor? If I understood correctly, I could work with 9234 direct, right?

Thanks for help,

Best regards

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(7,229 Views)

@Suglob_Artur wrote:

I've got B&K Deltatron (IEPE???) 4396 and 4519 Sensors. They have pre-installed charge converter 2646. Data sheet says that it must have 2...20 mA constant current supply. If I use NI 9234, I'll have IEPE excitation current 2,0...2,1 mA. Is it the currrent that I need for correct work of the sensor? If I understood correctly, I could work with 9234 direct, right?

Thanks for help,

Best regards

Yes, sound reasonable so far.

Deltatron, ICP,( forgot the Kistler naming 😉 )  with minor differences all are IEPE or CCLD ...   so again_ Yes 🙂

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

Message 9 of 9
(7,219 Views)