Driver Development Kit (DDK)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is the register-level spec for the NI-4462?

Hi - yes, I agree it's ugly. It may not be that evil: also, I do know the kernel developer who assisted me with it, and I would imagine that for a day's consultancy, he could probably make the driver work with a current kernel if you wanted. Alternatively, you can (usually) get an older kernel to run with a more modern distro.

Meanwhile, I hope my "lab" notes on the device were useful - I spent a very long time working with itl.

Also, if it's helpful, I wrote quite a lot of userspace programs for dumping data - you may find these helpful - especially as I spent a very long time debugging some of the quirks out of it.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(5,901 Views)

pantxod wrote:

Was this private discussion fruitful? Did it lead to any advances in building a driver compatible with modern linux kernels?

There hasn't been any progress on the 446x DDK, so please contact your local NI field engineer to explore options.

NI-KAL continues to support newer 32-bit Linux distributions and their kernels:

• Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 7
  • Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 6
  • Scientific Linux 7
  • Scientific Linux 6
  • openSUSE 13.1
  • openSUSE 12.3
  • openSUSE 12.2

When using DAQmx 8.0 for Linux, install NI-KAL 14.0 first.

NI-KAL 14.0 - RedHat, SUSE, Scientific Linux
http://www.ni.com/download/ni-kal-14.0/4732/en/

Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(5,892 Views)

Hello all,

I am trying to set up DAQmx on OpenSUSE 13.1.

I tried to install NIKAL 14 first, as advised. The installation completed successfully.

However, installation of DAQmx then failed, apparently mostly due to conflicts with what was installed by NIKAL, i.e.:

Installing NI-DAQmx for Linux Installer Distribution version 8.0.2f0...

Pre Installation .

Post Installation .

Skipping nikali-2.1.0-f0.noarch.rpm installation, same or newer already installed.

Pre Installation ...............................

Preparing...                          ################################# [100%]

file /usr/local/natinst from install of niscarabmm-1.2.1-f0.i386 conflicts with file from package nikal-bin-14.0.0-f0.i386

file /usr/local/natinst from install of niscarabmm-1.2.1-f0.i386 conflicts with file from package nikali-14.0.0-f0.noarch

file /usr/local/natinst from install of nirpci-4.0.0-f1.i386 conflicts with file from package nikal-bin-14.0.0-f0.i386

file /usr/local/natinst from install of nirpci-4.0.0-f1.i386 conflicts with file from package nikali-14.0.0-f0.noarch

file /usr/local/natinst conflicts between attempted installs of nidaqmxhelp-1.0.2-f0.i386 and nirpci-4.0.0-f1.i386

[... skipping more of this list ...]

Error installing NI-DAQmx for Linux Installer Distribution 8.0.2f0.

Installer is aborted.

Any idea ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(5,874 Views)

jsalort wrote:

I am trying to set up DAQmx on OpenSUSE 13.1.

I tried to install NIKAL 14 first, as advised. The installation completed successfully.

However, installation of DAQmx then failed, apparently mostly due to conflicts with what was installed by NIKAL, i.e.:

Installing NI-DAQmx for Linux Installer Distribution version 8.0.2f0...

Pre Installation .

Post Installation .

Skipping nikali-2.1.0-f0.noarch.rpm installation, same or newer already installed.

Pre Installation ...............................

Preparing...                          ################################# [100%]

file /usr/local/natinst from install of niscarabmm-1.2.1-f0.i386 conflicts with file from package nikal-bin-14.0.0-f0.i386

file /usr/local/natinst from install of niscarabmm-1.2.1-f0.i386 conflicts with file from package nikali-14.0.0-f0.noarch

file /usr/local/natinst from install of nirpci-4.0.0-f1.i386 conflicts with file from package nikal-bin-14.0.0-f0.i386

file /usr/local/natinst from install of nirpci-4.0.0-f1.i386 conflicts with file from package nikali-14.0.0-f0.noarch

file /usr/local/natinst conflicts between attempted installs of nidaqmxhelp-1.0.2-f0.i386 and nirpci-4.0.0-f1.i386

[... skipping more of this list ...]

Error installing NI-DAQmx for Linux Installer Distribution 8.0.2f0.

Installer is aborted.

This looks like the DAQmx 8.0.2 installer and the KAL 14.0 installer try to place the same files in the same location.

If this is the case, you will need to modify the DAQmx INSTALL script to workaround the problem. Line 903 sets the options used when invoking rpm to the variable RPMOpts; try adding --replacefiles to it, which will instruct rpm to install the packages even if they replace files from other, already installed, packages.

Joe Friedchicken
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 17
(5,837 Views)

JoeFriedchicken wrote :

This looks like the DAQmx 8.0.2 installer and the KAL 14.0 installer try to place the same files in the same location.

If this is the case, you will need to modify the DAQmx INSTALL script to workaround the problem. Line 903 sets the options used when invoking rpm to the variable RPMOpts; try adding --replacefiles to it, which will instruct rpm to install the packages even if they replace files from other, already installed, packages.

Hum, ok, thanks for the suggestion. 

The problem would be that it means that newer files from KAL 14.0 will be overriden by old files from DAQmx 8.0.2. I am not sure how wise that is. Therefore, KAL 14 should be reinstalled afterwards using the same trick.

As a side note, I tried to install VISA and DAQmx Base as well, but I am stuck because of the lack of libstdc++.so.5 on OpenSUSE 13.2. It only has libstdc++.so.6 and libstdc++.so.2.9, as well as libc6 variants. Unfortunately there is no compat-libstdc++ package on OpenSUSE 13.2. It is my understanding that libstdc++.so.5 comes from gcc-3.3.x, which is fairly old. Any chance to get a version of VISA compiled against gcc-4 instead ? Or do you guys know where to find compatibility versions of libstdc++ for OpenSUSE 13.2 ?

I tried to compile gcc-3 myself with no luck so far...

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(5,828 Views)
This thread has wandered well away from the register manual for the 4462. Consider creating a new thread where others can benefit from this discussion:

jsalort wrote:

As a side note, I tried to install VISA and DAQmx Base as well, but I am stuck because of the lack of libstdc++.so.5 on OpenSUSE 13.2.

For OpenSuSE 13.2, VISA 14.0 may work since it is compiled with gcc 4.2.1. However, DAQmx Base 14.0 is compiled with gcc 3.2, so I don't expect it will work.

Are you trying to install all of the drivers as an experiment, or do you have specific hardware that requires DAQmx Base and VISA?

Joe Friedchicken
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(5,820 Views)

JoeFriedchicken a écrit :
For OpenSuSE 13.2, VISA 14.0 may work since it is compiled with gcc 4.2.1. However, DAQmx Base 14.0 is compiled with gcc 3.2, so I don't expect it will work.

Are you trying to install all of the drivers as an experiment, or do you have specific hardware that requires DAQmx Base and VISA?

I use this computer with GPIB-USB adapter and a PCI-PXI controller. I think DAQmx Base may suffice if DAQmx does not install, though I am not sure about that, since I always used DAQmx for my PXI controllers.

You are right that a new thread should be created.

I get an error with VISA related to libstdc++.so.5:

Installing NI-VISA for Linux version 14.0.0f0...

Pre Installation .

Post Installation .

Pre Installation ..................................................

error: Failed dependencies:

/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5 is needed by niorbi-3.1.0-f0.i386

Error installing NI-VISA for Linux 14.0.0f0.

I will create a new thread for the VISA issue.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(5,815 Views)