Driver Development Kit (DDK)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI PCIe-6509 register level programming

I'm asking National personnel, who is responsible for device driver developing, to give me information about register level programming. Programming this board using DAQmx software is too slow for us - about 2,5MHz is the maximum for one pin.

I've already have RLP for PCI version of this board, but PCIe is different - only one BAR is available - and size of memory region also differ (512K). I've written skeleton kernel module for this board - and now problems to attach to hardware, but information absence stops me to progress further.

Please, help me.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(10,813 Views)

Yes, RLP for the PCIe-6509 is different than for the PCI-6509. Looking at the hardware itself, you can see we've used different ASICs. The newer express revision has two STC3 ASICs while the previous PCI revision has two STC2 ASICs. These chips are different as you've encountered and thus their programming is also different.

Unfortunately, we do not have any RLP information for the STC3 at this time, nor do we have projections for when it will be made available. If this is an urgent need, please contact your local sales or support engineer and we may be able to work with your further.

Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(10,794 Views)

Is there any idea of when there wil be a RLP manual for the PCIe 6509? It's been more than a year and we have tried contacting NI support serveral times to no avail. PCI's are disappearing quickly and we need a clear upgrade path from the current NI PCI6509 to the PCIe 6509. We use several in kernel drivers with this board and RLP are obviously a requirement before we can upgrade.

Cheers,

V. Seguí

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(10,254 Views)

Hello,

We are currently working on a PCIe-6509 register level programming manual and a full driver development kit.  The driver development kit will be complete with examples for the major features of the PCIe-6509 board.

I can't comment on when it will be finished, but we are currently in the testing phase.

Thanks,

Steven T.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(10,214 Views)

Hi Steven,

any update on the release date of the driver development kit with PCIe-6509 support?

Our customer is asking for this info

Thank you!

Regards

Andrea R.

NI Italy - AE

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(10,130 Views)

Hello Andrea,

Thanks for checking in.  The PCIe-6509 DDK has been released and is available from the MHDDK download page.

Steven T.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(10,054 Views)
Hi Steven

Thank you for your great work and for the update!

Andrea
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(10,049 Views)

Is anyone else having trouble trying to access the slave ASIC ports? 

My boardbringup.cpp example is crashing when I try to access the DIO ports beginning at port 6 which is the first port on the slave STC3.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(9,433 Views)