From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Discusiones sobre Productos NI

cancelar
Mostrando los resultados de 
Buscar en lugar de 
Quiere decir: 

Seial port Communication

Is it possible to make an application in labview that autodetects the srial ports that are being used by the computer, and can this be made with events?

Can labview monitor a computer's power state, such as shutdown, restart, etc..

Can an application be made so that it auto starts with windows?

Is it required to install a module to use serial communication in labview?

0 kudos
Mensaje 1 de 5
5.223 Vistas

Let's start from the easy answers...

Is it required to install a module to use serial communication in labview?

LabVIEW manages serial communications through VISA: the specific software gets installed on your machine together with LV but you will need to install VISA runtime on the target machine if different from the development machine. This is normally done by creating a distribution and including VISA in it (see here and here)

Can an application be made so that it auto starts with windows?

Simply create a shortcut to the application and place it in Automatic execution (or Startup: not sure how it's called in English) folder in start menu

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
5.200 Vistas

Hello Nando88,

Q: Is it possible to make an application in LabVIEW that autodetects the srial ports that are being used by the computer, and can this be made with events?

A:

How Do I Programmatically Determine Available Resources at Runtime in LabVIEW?:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/FA9073730B255BE586256E54005B13C4?OpenDocument

Q: Can labview monitor a computer's power state, such as shutdown, restart, etc.

A: On your other Post:

Monitor computer power events:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Monitor-computer-power-events/m-p/3082503

Q: Can an application be made so that it auto starts with windows?

A:

Running a VI when Windows Boots:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/45455665A28AE87E862569CE0077583B?OpenDocument

Q: Is it required to install a module to use serial communication in LabVIEW?

A: Answered above by RobertoBozzolo.

David P.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
www.ni.com/soporte
0 kudos
Mensaje 3 de 5
5.154 Vistas

I found an example that lists all the serial ports in a windows machine, and it uses the kernel32.dll, and I was wondering what can I use in linux? I was also wondering if it would be a better approach to use a c dll, to pass all the values to labview?

0 kudos
Mensaje 4 de 5
4.947 Vistas

Hi!

I don't know if you're still looking for an alternative but I use this snippet regularly and it works fine enough. I found it somewhere in internet and I make some small modifications to adapt it to any VI I use.

I hope it helps Guiño

COM Ports.png

0 kudos
Mensaje 5 de 5
4.764 Vistas