Digital Multimeters (DMMs) and Precision DC Sources

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI-4110 dead?

I have got two PXI-4110. One shows this message when self testing:

"The self test failed.

Improper chassis power levels detected. The +3.3 V fuse on the device might have blown, or there might be a problem with the +3.3 V rail on the chassis. Try resetting the device. If the error persists, contact National Instruments."

I have tested the fuses I can find on the board, and they are OK. Is the 3.3V fuse the one just by the backplane connector?

I also note that there is no cal data available in NIMAX for this device.

Anything more TLC I can use to bring it back to life?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(8,006 Views)

I have the exact same issue.  Is there a solution?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(7,745 Views)

Hi,

I did not solve this so I'm still looking for an awnser too.

I have heard others had the same problem with this particuar model. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(7,742 Views)

I suggest you both contact local NI office and sort out repair for these devices. If you have other chassis it is a good test to see if they work there. If you have free space in current chassis test if the module works there.

Most likely the fuse is blown. As described and a repair is needed.

Best Regards
Jonas Mäki
Systems Developer
Novator Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(7,727 Views)

Hi,

I have a similar problem. A self-test error appears. How did you test the fuses? Maybe if I start from there I'll get some sense of what is going on.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(7,576 Views)

Hi Sparky,

Did you try swaping the module for other slots or even in an other chassis if you have that available?

Your best option is to contact local NI Office by phone and start a repair service for you device. It might also be the power rail of your chassis. This is why it is good to test another one.

Testing the fuse is just a matter of finding the correct one on the board and take it out and measure with a DMM in ohm mode would be the easiest. You could do it with Amp setting as well. For ohm measurement you want to see basically the same number as if you put the two DMM probes together. If you read nothing meaning infinite ohm the fuse is blown.

Best Regards
Jonas Mäki
Systems Developer
Novator Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(7,571 Views)

Hello,

"Testing the fuse is just a matter of finding the correct one"

Yes, that's problem nr 1, there is no way to find out which is the right one? There is one fuse near the backplane connector, I would assume it's the one. Then there are a few near the front, but I assume those are for the outputs? Surely, it should be supported to check the fuses in the field without sending them to NI? Are there soldered fuses or just the obviously exchangable "brick" type in sockets? I have also seen mentioned elsewhare, for another PXI-4110, that it had been serviced and updated with "ECO #68960, fuse update" so there seems to be some issue with these modules.

I have had no need for an extra PXI-4110, it's a spare, mine remains un-repaired on the shelf. My system is more hobby than pro. Being at the bottom of the food chain, scavaging for budget solutions, I'd prefer to troubleshoot and service as far as possible. Yes I'm aware that I'm not the typical NI customer ie a professional user....

PS: I tested mine in several mainframes and they give the same error message while another PXI-4110 works in the same mainframes.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(7,562 Views)

Hi Jonas,

Thanks for the reply. Actually what appears now when I self-test PS1 is:

"The device self-test has failed. The error reprot from the device driver is as follows:

Error -200175 occured at Self Test

Possible reasons(s):

Measurements: Hardware is not responding,

Ensure your hardware is powered on and all cables are properly connected."

I checked the aux power output cables and they seem to be fine. Once I take out the aux power cable from PS2 red lights appear on the -20 and 20. How could I go about fixing this issue. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(7,558 Views)

Sparky,

Get in contact with your local NI Office to trouble shoot further and start a repair service for your device.

Best Regards
Jonas Mäki
Systems Developer
Novator Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(7,556 Views)