From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what's the difference between I/O and line?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I am using Labview 7 and in my mahcine, I have a 6013 card installed. However, there was a interface card designed by someone else long time ago, on the board, only the AO0, AO1, ..., A07, DIO0, DIO1, ..., DIO7 were printed. In the program, I saw some code to use Write to Digital Line.vi to send data to the digial io. Let say I write to DIO 3, so my understanding here DIO 3 denotes the I/O channel 3, but what about line? What's the difference between channel and line? When I write data to one I/O channel, are we wriitng a byte or a bit to it? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,664 Views)

A line is a single DIO input/output (ex: P1.0).  A port is multiple DIO lines.  A port is typically 8, 16, or 32 lines.  If writing to a port, you will use a U8, U16, or U32 respectively.  If writing to a line, you use a boolean.  It sounds like you just need to use a line.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,643 Views)

May I further ask what is channel? Is it the same as port?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,460 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author dragondriver

A channel is usually used with the analog I/O.  Each AI or AO is a channel.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,440 Views)