From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

prohibited state of NI PCIe-6535B

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi

I need to make sure my PCIe-6535B never sets all the lines active at the same time, not even in the transient state or power up/down. That would mean hardware failure which this board controls. 

Is there any setting I can set this board to make sure that will be the case? 

Is there any "prohibited" state which I can configure? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,345 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author pawel

Dear Pawel,

for the 6535B, the startup behavior of every line is software-configurable, settable to tri-state, 0V, 2.5V or 3.3V. For normal operation, you have to make sure that the lines are in the correct state from software. The best method in my opinion is to build an API that always performs a check of other lines before setting an active line, then use the card only through the API. (If there are other users, you might want to lock it to prevent them from overrriding the checks)

If software safty is not applicable in your case (for example, you want to use te maximum pssible speeds, so there is no time for checks, or you need an evem more secure solution) I'd sugest an addition of minor electronics.

Kind regards:

Andrew Valko
National Instruments Hungary
Message 2 of 3
(5,293 Views)
Thank you
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(5,285 Views)