Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

open collector Incremental encoder

So I have this TRD SH1000 BD Incremental Encoder which I am trying to connect to the NI 9411. Can I connect it with differential type terminal configuration? 
http://www.automationdirect.com/static/specs/encoderld.pdf
This is the manual for reference.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,502 Views)

According to the manual (page 3/13), there are no differential outputs on the open collector version. Am I missing something ?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,485 Views)

Open-collector outputs and differential outputs are different things....

Since you have open-collector outputs on your encoders only (never heard of encoders having both), you should connect them in single-ended configuration to your DAC board. To work properly with an open-collector output, the inputs of the DAC board must have pull-up resistors. In most cases these resistors are already on-board, check the manual of your DAC board for details. 

The wiring between your encoder and the board should not be too long since single-ended inputs and non-differential signal lines are prone to environmental noise. If possible, use shielded cables with the shield connected to digital input ground (DGND) on the DAC board. 

Message 3 of 4
(5,478 Views)

Buechsenschuetz a écrit :

Open-collector outputs and differential outputs are different things....

Since you have open-collector outputs on your encoders only (never heard of encoders having both), you should connect them in single-ended configuration to your DAC board. To work properly with an open-collector output, the inputs of the DAC board must have pull-up resistors. In most cases these resistors are already on-board, check the manual of your DAC board for details. 

The wiring between your encoder and the board should not be too long since single-ended inputs and non-differential signal lines are prone to environmental noise. If possible, use shielded cables with the shield connected to digital input ground (DGND) on the DAC board. 

I guess you mean DAQ board...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,474 Views)