From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i need to switch a 12V relay using USB6211.i am stuck with programming

i need to switch a 12V relay using USB6211.i am stuck with programming  using daq assistant. i am doing hardware implementation also..can anyone give some help...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,533 Views)

You cannot drive a 12 V relay directly with the USB-6211. Look at something like the ULN200x family of device drivers.

The DAQ Assistant is not very versatile. Consider learning to use the DAQmx VIs. There should be some examples for digital output that can help you get started.

Lynn

Message 2 of 8
(5,523 Views)

If you are making an electrical interface as well, then I would recommend getting a digital buffer chip and/or an optofet.  Then you can control the 12V going to your relay.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 3 of 8
(5,520 Views)

When switching something with a supply voltage higher than 5V, I would always recommend an opto-isolating device, such as the PhotoMOS series from Matsushita. When using a non-isolated driver there is always a risk that in case of catastrophic failure of the driver the high supply voltage may burn your driver.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,493 Views)

thanks for your help and sorry for late response...

i need to get different outputs from different lines or different ports of USB 6211 and also need to control it  separately(for realising AND gate- hardware part). ISs it possible and which is preferable either DAQ Assistant or DAQmx VI?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,458 Views)

You can create tasks with individual lines and ports and then have multiple tasks all running for the same device.  I would highly recommend the DAQmx VI API.  It gives a little better control and is easier to see exactly what is happening.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 6 of 8
(5,454 Views)

i will try once i get into my lab..

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,444 Views)

Can't you use something like this.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/MPDCD3-B/CC1589-ND/1135090?WT.srch=1&WT.medium=cpc&WT.mc_id...

http://www.crydom.com/en/products/catalog/m_p.pdf

A min of 3V input, you can either solder it to a PCB or get a socket for it?

You can use the digital outputs to control the relay.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,308 Views)