From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

custom pulse signal 9401

Hi,

I am using NI 9401 and I would like to generate custom pulse signal which is generated in the loop. At the beginning the user determines the pulse sequence e.g. 

30 ms LOW, 20ms HIGH, 15 ms LOW, 25 ms HIGH 0.1ms LOW, .... Then I can programatically build the analog or digital waveform. Now I would like to use this waveform and generate the TTL signal. I would like to use the inbuilt counter as in this case here to be able to generate high frequency such as 1MHz etc..... any idea ???

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,147 Views)

Hi charlie87,

Normally, you wil be able to do that with counters, but you will have to change on the fly the new parameters, basically you can do it in the following ways:
1. You define a finite generation of signal with a specific duty cycle and number of pulses, and once it finishes you can reconfigure the task and start it again.
Disadvantages: You will have delays between one signal and another.
2. You can generate continuously signal with specific duty cycle and change on the fly the new parameters.
Disadvantages: You might have glitches, you will rewrite the new parameters in the middle of a period of previous signal.
3. You can define the digital waveform in LabVIEW and generate it with Digital Output - Hardware Timed.
I believe that the 3rd option fits the best your needs.

I am attaching a printscreen that can serve as a start for your application. 

Best regards,

IR

Message 2 of 2
(5,127 Views)