From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

counter channels for NI 6343 DAQ

I have the NI 6343 DAQ using labview 2013.  When I try to create a counter channel it lists channels ctrl0 through ctrl3.  However they are not listed on the pin out for the DAQ - what physical channels are they on the pin out?  I'm assuming they are part of the PFI0-15.  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,749 Views)

The counter channels refer to the internal channels used for counter tasks. The counters themselves can be routed to/from any of the PFI lines. This can best be seen by one of the shipping examples.

If you open up LV, and select Help ->Find Examples...

Then in the NI Example Finder, select Hardware Input and Output -> DAQmx -> Counter Input -> Counter - Read Pulse Width and Frequency (Finite).vi

You'll see on the front panel that you select the counter then the input terminal. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,728 Views)

Hi jliu317,

You are correct that the counter channel typically use the PFI lines when you want to bring a signal in (or out) the NI 6343. You can route the lines to the counters or you can see what the default lines. I typically do this in MAX - click on your device under Devices and Interfaces and then click the Device Pinouts button. If you scroll down, it should provide you with a table for the Default NI-DAQmx Counter Terminals.

Best Regards,

Matthew B.
Offering Manager
NI
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,720 Views)

When you say to route the lines to the counters - do you mean physically or through MAX?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,685 Views)

Hi jliu317,

You can use the DAQmx Channel Property node in LabVIEW (or the equivalent in text-based languages) to choose the terminals you want the input or outputs of the counter to appear on. A good example of this can be seen in the Counter - Read Pulse Width and Frequency (Continuous).vi example in the Example Finder. This example is available under Hardware Input and Output»DAQmx»Counter Input.

If you don't specify the terminals, the counters will use the defaults as shown in the pinouts.

Best Regards,

Matthew B.
Offering Manager
NI
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,673 Views)