Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cmd2120p

I am having trouble wiring the UMI-7764 and the Driver that connects to the motor, which is cmd2120p. I know the UMI-7764 has 16 pins and the driver has 12 pins but I do not know how they are supposed to connect because they are not labeled the same. The labels below are not similar to the labels in the UMI-7764.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,438 Views)

Hi braintrain,

The segment of pins on the UMI of interest to us will be those on the "Drive Terminal Block" found in the product manual.  The Analog Output connections are specific for servo motors, and will thus be irrelevant for you.  The Inhibit Output is only necessary for disabling an axis, which may not be relevant to your appliction either.  So that leaves the Step (CW) and Dir (CCW) outputs of the UMI, which will be routed to the corresponding CW+ and CCW+ pins on the driver.  The CW- and CCW- inputs will very likely be routed to the UMI's GND connection.  It may also be possible that the Step (CW) and Dir (CCW) outputs of the UMI will be routed to the corresponding CW- and CCW- pins on the driver, in which case the CW- and CCW- inputs will very likely be routed to the UMI's +5 V connection.  I'd experiment with those two configurations, and reference page 23 of the following resource for an example where the configurations mentioned are put in play.

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/376089a.pdf#page=23

Andy G
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,416 Views)

Thank you, this was very helpful but I do have one more question. On page 25, it says to wire the (5)EN+ and the (6)EN-. Which pins would these be similar to on the CMD2120P? Because on this, it says pin 5 is AWO+ input and pin 6 is AWO- input. Do we need these pins?

Thanks,

Brian

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,400 Views)

Hi braintrain

That's a great question.  As you can see from the following resource, the EN lines are Drive Enable lines, meaning they enable or disable an axis.  As far as I can understand from the third party device's pins AWO, they serve the same purpose, by enabling or disable the current to the motor.  I believe they would indeed be connected to one another.  However, as the resource below suggests, EN line usage requires the Soft Motion Lite module, so if you're not using Soft Motion, you won't be able to access these lines properly.

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371093G-01/nimclvfb/axisconfig_drivesignals/

Andy G
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,389 Views)

We were able to wire up the umi the way you described. We were following the "getting started with NI motion control" template. When we powered the system, the holding torque worked. However, while following the steps to test the motor, we were unable to get the motor to move. Then when we pressed the kill button the motors should be able to move freely but, the motors were still locked. We were able to get the code to move 10000 steps like it said in the manuel but the motor did not acually move at all.

So, we are wondering if the reason the motor did not move is if the wiring was not correct between the UMI and the Driver or what else could be the problem. 

Thanks

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/323329a.pdf

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,116 Views)

braintrain,

Are you able to verify that the correct voltages are being sent from the UMI board?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,094 Views)

We are not exactly sure about that right now.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,081 Views)