From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

binder convection oven talking with PC

We have one convection oven from binder company. The connection type is 25 pin typE. my pc has one 25 pin port. I am not sure I can connect the oven with pc using PC's 25 pin port , instead of using 25pin to 9 pin of pc.

Is there anybody having same experience?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 28
(7,257 Views)

Further, our oven is from http://www.binder-world.com/us/en/products/apt-com.cfm/. They have developed one commercial software.  I am not sure I can read temperature using labview. For manual, no any command protocol.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 28
(7,252 Views)

The 25 pin connector on your pc is probablt a printer port and it should be labeled as such. Adapters for 9 pin to 25 pin ware widely available. Just look at how it is supposed to be wired in the documentation.

If you have no manual for the instrument, I have no idea how you expect to control it. Perhaps the application program from the vendor has an ActiveX interface. You really need to be asking the vendor. As something desparate, you migh try Portmon from Micrsoft to capture the commands that the vendor's program sends.

Message Edited by Dennis Knutson on 05-31-2010 07:03 PM
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 28
(7,219 Views)

Ok

Thank you for your reply. My PC just have one 9 pin port. I need two ports.  Since 25 pin port in PC is for printer. I think I have to purchase another 9 pin port.

Further, the vendor has one commercial software . So I am sure they will tell me comunication protocol. you said some software can be used to catch the command. correct?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 28
(7,204 Views)

Don't be sure of anything until you contact the vendor. Sometimes, a vendor will not release details on the protocol in order to force someone to buy proprietary software.

Yes, I did tell you the name of some software that can be used to capture serial communication.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 28
(7,198 Views)

I just want to say I am not sure they will give me . But I missed "not"

Thank you all the same. I will try the software you told me

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 28
(7,191 Views)

I tried portmon 

No any text showed up in the software.

I still dig into it 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 28
(7,178 Views)

Not all ports on a PC are created equal... if you have a 25pin connector this is probably a printer port. Since a printer port basically is a (partially) bi-directional digital i/o interface, at least some of the lines can be used as digital i/o lines. If you have a 9pin connector this is very probably a RS232 serial interface. These interfaces use different voltage levels which are NOT compatible with TTL-compatible digital lines. Some of the pins of these connectors are used to transmit or receive status signals, but usually you do not have any access to control them via user software. There are adaptors from 9pin connectors to 25pin connectors, however this will not help you since they do not increase the numbers of available signal lines... and do not change the incompatible voltage levels. - Today, the easiest way to control a device via digital i/o lines is using an USB adapter providing digital i/o. - If you have slots on your PC mainboard available, you might also consider using an additional printer interface board, usually these are quite cheap. But not all of them will work with software "misusing" the printer port for digital i/o. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 28
(7,170 Views)

Hi Buechsenschuetz

Thank you so much. Right now I have connected ithe oven 25 pin port  successfully with 9 pin port. I tested it using hyperterminal. It is right. Due to vendor did not tell me communication protocol. I tried to catch it using Portmon like Knight said. But nothing  showed up.

I do not what wrong it is .

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 28
(7,157 Views)

Hi,

Just looking into getting a Binder oven. Did you manage to pull off talking to the Binder oven from Labview?

Phil

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 28
(6,529 Views)