From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wiring NI 9472

How should I wire a 9472 in a cRIO-9022 chassis?  The schematic is simple, but I am afraid of giving it too much current or too little voltage.

My power supply is WP-706B (http://www.plccenter.com/en-US/Buy/VECTOR%20VID/WP706B) and the positive of course to Vsup and ground to COM.  The power supply give a current readout that is really high before I get to the 6V minimum for the module.

It is hard to test because I do not want to fry the module.  

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,802 Views)

Hi Jrevard,

Looking at the manual for the 9472, it looks like module has some short circuit protection to prevent the module from being damaged by high currents. I would recommend looking at page 14 and the table on page 18 in the manual, which explain the various currents that the module may be damaged by. I hope this helps!

David S.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,776 Views)

Thanks for the reply.  I think my problem lies more with the power supply.  It was explained to me that the current readout is what the supply is ABLE to give at that voltage. I study science and am super confused about current and voltage.  It seems so straight forward, but I always get confused when supplies are involved.  This thread may belong in an electrical discussion board.  My hope was that others had used a supply like this one and could explain what the load of the 9472 was "seeing."

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,671 Views)

Hi jrevard,

When you say the current readout, are you measuring the current with an external device? I think the supply you are using should be compatible with the 9472, although I would keep in mind this warning from the manual: "

If the power supply you are using with the NI 9472/9474 cannot supply more than 13 A, the module may be damaged if a short-circuit condition occurs."

If you do have more general questions on power supplies and things like that, I would suggest checking out some general electrical discussion boards like you mentioned. 

David S.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,652 Views)