Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use cRIO DO module NI 9477 as relay to provide 24V input for Siemens S7-200 (CPU222)

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear All, could anyone please confirm my usage of NI 9477 as a relay works or not with following details. It might be too silly question but I am sure it is not posted before and I really cannot afford to burn my modules. I have two worries, one is sink or source connection, another is overcurrent issue.

The Siemens S7-200 is used to control a step motor driver by sending pulses. I need to provide two digital signals to control step motor's rotation direction. So I propose to connect my NI 9477 as a relay switch shown in the graph below (left configuration).

According to the NI 9477 datasheet (attached), I suppose I should connect it as the right configuration as NI 9477 is sinking module. However, current power supply in the control cabinet is wired as left configuration. I am not sure if I can just connect my NI 9477 or I need to adjust the power supply polarity. 

s7-200 wiring diagrams

Another concern would be the current through NI 9477. It rated at 1A and will be connected in series with only a 24VDC power and s7-200 digital input. I am not sure if the current would be a concern as in s7-200 datasheet, it seems that the current is only 4mA. Am I reading this correctly? I also attached the s7-200 datasheet if you have time to varify that, please.

S7-200 digital input specification

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Jinyu

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,281 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jinyu0315

Personally, I would just change over to a 9476.  The 9477 looks like it is best for negative logic (24V = FALSE, 0V = TRUE).

And current for the PLC is practically in the noise for a 24V digital signal, so I would not worry about it.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 3
(4,276 Views)

Dear crossrulz,

Thank you very much for your fast and professional suggestion. Now the overcurrent problem has gone.

For the module change, it is not practical at this time as I have already purchased the 9477 with the reason that each channel can take more current (1A) over 350mA (roughly, I cannot remember) on 9476. 

For the time being, could you please suggest if 9477 can be used in my case for now?

Regards,

Jinyu

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,271 Views)