From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB-6501 voltage generation

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I'm very new to using LabView and NI devices, so pardon me if my question seems dumb.

I have a NI USB-6501 DAQ that I would like to use to connect to a device that will open or close a lid when triggered.

My question is: Is it possible to programmatically trigger the voltage output of the USB-6501?

I'm using LabView for this and I'm running on Windows 7. I couldn't find basics examples on LabView that were related to the voltage output for the USB-6501.

Any help would be really appreciated, thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,309 Views)
Not much good if you can't programatically set the outputs to a one or zero.

Where did you look? Help> Find Examfples> Hardware Input and Output>DAQmx> Digital Generation.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(6,304 Views)

That's where I looked, I am currently using the "Write Dig Chan.vi" example, but I can't make it work so that it produces the behaviour I want.

Basically I would like to switch the voltage on and off programmatically. 

Thanks for your insights.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(6,302 Views)
Do you get an error? What do you have connected to the output?

That example should work just fine as long as you have specified the correct channels. You can also test the board MAX. Assumimg the board is not broken, my guess is that you have a load connected that cannot be driven by the 6501.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(6,291 Views)

Thanks for your replies.

Actually my problem was that I wanted to shut the output voltage of all the pins. I managed to do this by using the example and adapting it.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(6,282 Views)

You'll want to use DAQmx Write.  Single channel, single sample boolean for one line. 

Look at the example code, there's several examples on how to read and write various formats (booleans, array-of-bools, ints) to the lines/ports.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(6,271 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author fcal

Thanks for your replies.

After some modifications the example "Write Dig Chan" helped me get the behaviour I wanted, namely switching on and off a connected device.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(6,256 Views)