From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB-6501 Operation

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all,

I have a brand new NI USB-6501, and I'm looking for some help with operation.  I am running OS X 10.11.1, LabVIEW 2013 SP 1, NI-VISA 15.0, and NI-DAQmx Base 15.0.0.  I set up and plugged in my module and get a steady blinking green light.  I ran NI MAX, found the module and renamed it "Motor_Module".  I then went to my DAQmx Base Examples and found the USB-6501 Interactive Control.llb and ran the interactive control VI that is contained in that library.

The first thing I tried was simply running the VI.  I got Error -200220, Device identifier is invalid.  I changed Device Name to "Motor_Module" and ran the VI again.  This time, I got Error -200558, One task cannot contain multiple independent devices.  Create one task for each independent device.

And this is where I stand.  My end goal is to have this module output an open-collector type signal at +5 V.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,797 Views)

Sorry, I forgot to add that when the Device Name was set to "Dev1" and I clicked run, the Activity boolean came back false.  When I changed my Device Name to "Motor_Module", it came back true.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,796 Views)

Hi Sullinvnc, 

Are you changing the name in the VI or reseting the name in MAX? If you aren't already, I would recommend resetting the name in MAX and then trying. 
Also, you might need to change your firmware to match DAQmx Base instead of DAQmx.  

Shalini M.
Partner Development Engineer
Alliance Partner Network
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,764 Views)

I am now able to talk to the module after updating firmware and altering my program a little.  Like I said, I am trying to output a +5V open-collector type signal.  However, I can't plug in my motor to test here at my desk because the drive takes a high voltage.  Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track with my programming and how to test if this signal is actually being output?PortSelection.pngLineSelection.pngInvertLines.pngVoltage.pngVI.png

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,708 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author sullivnc

Hi Sullivnc, 

I would recommend you look at some examples in the NI Example Finder. Under Hardware Input and output, there is a folder for DAQmx which has a folder for Digitial Output that has a couple of helpful examples. Depending on whether you're doing countinuous or finite output, you could add some more things to your code like a DAQmx Clear Task, DAQmx Timing vi, and/or DAQmx Is Task Done vi.

Shalini M.
Alliance Partner Network
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,662 Views)

I've looked through the examples and they are not helpful in what I'm trying to do.  From everything the manual says, it seems like this is supposed to be the main function of this device, yet I cannot find any help anywhere on how to have it output this signal.  Can you offer any more specific help?  Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,657 Views)

Your VI looks correct and should output your desired signal.

If you want to test it without having your motor connected, I would recommend using a DMM to verify the value at the output. 

Shalini M.
Alliance Partner Network
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,608 Views)