From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solenoid Valve control with DAQ

Hello everyone,

I would like to control 6 solenoid valves (6-24 VDC, 6W) and a small solenoid pump (12VDC) from a NI USB-6212 DAQ. I have been thinking about using a ULN2803 integrated circuit to increase the DO signal coming from the DAQ to 12VDC and use that to power the solenoids. Would this work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(6,209 Views)

The 2803 will work, but you will need more than one since the max current through the die is 2.5A total. At 12V, your solenoids will draw 500mA each, that times 6 solenoids is 3A total. Also note that 500mA is the upper limit of the ouput drive, you may want to parallel two drivers together for each pump (just to be safe).

I could not find the current rating of the pump so once you know that figure, plan on spreading your loads between the 2803's accordingly.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(6,201 Views)

How about adding a voltage follower for each valve. That way the coils won't draw any current directly from the 2803.
This way you dont need additional 2803's.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(6,163 Views)