From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programming digital I/O pins on the NI myRIO-9100 for more quadrature encoder inputs

I am using NI myRIO for my robot PUMA 200 which has 6 motors. I want to use 6 encoder channels to obtain the positions of the motor axes. But myRIO has only 4 encoder channels. I watched the video "H-Bridge and GearedMotor Demo Walk-Through" (youtu.be/Q1UXVtVN-oQ, 6:01). At 2:59, panel of configure encoder shows the 4 encoder channels.

My question is if there is a way to program other digital I/O to get more encoder channels. Any help appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,655 Views)

Hello,

Using the FPGA on the MyRIO, it is possible to build custom encoders. The following whitepaper gives a good explanation about encoders in general and how to use LabVIEW with the RIO FPGA to accomplish this. This approach gives a lot of customization with your application, but may be harder to implement depending on the experience of LabVIEW programming. Hope this helps!

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3921/en/

Logan

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,618 Views)