cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI-6509 Error occurred at Reset Device

Solved!
Go to solution

Greetings Everyone,

I recently had three (3) PXI-6509's fail in one of my Test Stations.  I tried to reset them in MAX and received the following message: "The device reset has failed.  The error report from the device driver is as follows: Error -224903 occurred at Reset Device.".  I also received "Error -50152".  After that while I had the stores list up of all installed boards, the three (3) PXI-6509's removed themselves from the list.  I'm wondering what these error codes are telling me.  The pop up error dialogue box stated that the "Possible Reason(s): Internal Software Error occurred in Static_Digital_software".  I'm also curious as to what this is relating to.  I replaced all three (3) board from a NEW chassis that I'm bringing up for use and everything thing is fine.  I tried plugging these failed boards into my other chassis and the computer will not even boot up.  Thank you in advance for any information that you provide that will help me in understanding what may have caused this to happen.  The system was working fine up to lunch time and after lunch is when the problems started.

Regards,

Scott

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(8,303 Views)

Hi Scott,

Error -224903 generally occurs due to something being wrong with the actual connection of the PXI card to the chassis.  Could you go into more detail on what steps you took when you moved the cards between chassis?  Moving to a new slot is generally a good step, but in this case you have three cards that fail so this does not sound like the situation.

When do you receive Error -50152?  Is this something that consistently occurs?

Nick

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(8,220 Views)

Greetings Nick,

Here is the course of events that led up to the problem being described. 

While testing UUT’s (Company Product): (PXI-1044 with PXI-8101(XP), GPIB Controller and various PXI cards installed)

Before Lunch everything was working well.  It was after lunch that the following events took place.

a)     Test Sequence hung up during External Power Supply ramp up in which the D-I/O are used to switch relays inside the ITA (Interface Test Adaptor) to connect the DMM to the Power Supply that is in use at the particular time in the test sequence.  This has happened a couple times before, but NO error ever happened and just re-booting the system cleared it.

b)     The next thing that was performed was shutting down TestStand and Labview.

c)     The next thing that was performed was executing “MAX”.

d)    Once in “MAX”, I normally try to RESET all of the PXI cards, which is usually successful, but not in this case.  The error pop up came up with the two (2) different error codes (-224903 and -50152).  Please explain what the “Static-Digital Software is?

e)     I shutdown “MAX” and Re-Booted the system.

f)      After Re-Boot completed, I executed “MAX” once again and clicked My System, Devices and Interfaces and PXI-1044 “Chassis 1”.

g)     I tried to reset the NI PXI-6509 “PXI1Slot7” and received the pop-up error as described.

h)    Upon clicking OK.  The PXI1Slot7 and PXI1Slot8 removed themselves from the stores list of cards installed and the icon next to NI PXI-6509 “PXI1Slot9” changed from a little green board icon to a white board icon with a little red ‘x’ inside it.

i)      Next, I removed all three (3) PXI-6509 from a NEW chassis in a NEW TestStand that I planned to bring on line in a couple of weeks.  I placed these boards into the TestStand that is failing and everything is working well once again.  I ran some diagnostics and everything checks out OK.

j)      Next, I took the failing boards and placed them into the NEW chassis and the computer wouldn’t even boot up.

k)    Next I removed two (2) (PXI1Slot7 and PXI1Slot8) of the boards and tried to boot the computer and the computer booted up.

l)      I proceeded to execute “MAX” and check the stores list only to find that the board (PXI1Slot9) was not even in the category of the PXI-1044 Chassis1 but outside it and it also had the white icon with a little red ‘x’.  It also affected the PXI-2575 in PXI1Slot10, which had a white icon and little red ‘x’.  I removed the board from PXI1Slot9 and re-booted the system and PXI1Slot10 recovered with the normal green icon that is usually next to it.

What I need to understand is what “Static-Digital software” is and what the errors are telling me.  The fact that three (3) NEW board installed into the chassis and function 100% tells me that there is something wrong with the three (3) boards that I removed from the chassis and that nothing else seems to be wrong with the chassis.

The fact that installing the three (3) boards into a NEW chassis and the computer not booting is something of concern.  I’m trying to understand what could have caused this to happen in the first place so I can be prevented in the future.

Regards,

Scott

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(8,105 Views)

Scott754,

I've seen errors like this normally caused by poor PXI or PCI contacts. I recommend inspecting the physical contacts to ensure they are not damaged. You mentioned that your new PXI chassis fails to boot up with the cards installed, was this the case with the old chassis as well? One thing to try is checking to see if these devices appear in device manager, and if so, uninstalling the cards, and letting your chassis refind them. Additionally, what version of NI-DAQmx is installed on your chassis?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(8,027 Views)

Hi Bryan,

Sorry for the delay.  I've been out of the office the last couple of week for a family emergency.

The DAQmx version is 9.1.5, which is not the problem as far as I can see.  I have two (2) other test stations that have been running for almost 2 years with that version in it and so far NO Problems.  The chassis that started this post has been in constant used for over 1-1/2 years.  The real mystery is why, right before my eyes did PXI1Slot7 and PXI1Slot8 remove themselves from the "PXI-1044 "Chassis1"" sub menu and move above it.  PXI1Slot9 remained but instead of a green icon it was a white icon with red 'x' inside it.  The Self Test and Reset uttons were ghosted out thus making unable to select.  I'm trying to understand what the "Static-Digital software" message is telling me so I may correct something to prevent this problem from re-occurring.  I figure that it might be talking about the three (3) FPGA's that are on the board, but not sure.  Let me know what you think.  Thank you.

Regards,

Scott 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(7,725 Views)

Hi Scott,

I'm a little uncertain what you mean when you say the PXI1Slot7 and PXI1Slot8 moved above the PXI-1044 Chassis1.  Could you provide a couple of screenshots of what you are seeing with those PXI Slots?  Also, a screenshot of the error would be beneficial.

Error -224903 can occur for two reasons:

1. There is a poor PXI contact between the card and the PC.  This can also be because of a damaged PXI slot.

2. There is a corrupt driver installed on the machine.

Just to confirm, when you put the cards in the new chassis and attempt to turn it on, the computer simply won't turn on at all?  Have you tried putting them in different slots?

Thanks,

Nick A

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(7,695 Views)

Greetings Nick,

I've attached the only screen shot that I happen to save.  Sorry that I'm not able to provide any more.  My Devices and Interface tree looks like this:

GPIB0 (PXI-GPIB)

PXI-8433/4

PXI-8433/4

PXI-1044 "Chassis 1" w/ associated cards under it

The PXI1Slot7 and PXI1Slot8 moved between PXI-8433/4 and PXI-1044 with a white icon with red 'x'.  Please keep in mind that, as mentioned already, this station has been in constant use for the 1-1/2 years.  If there was something wrong with the connector it happened at the factory and should've been captured there.  I'm not going to dispute the driver as a problem, but after installing the three (3) boards from my NEW chassis, the system was back up and running.  I had very little time to get this system up and running since the production environment must keep moving.  I'm still wondering what the "Static-Digital Software" message is telling me and what it is concerning.  I have two other work stations running for a much longer time and hope that there isn't a domino effect getting ready to start.

I tried the boards one at a time.  It seems that the one that was in PXI1Slot9 is the culprit.  I tried it in Slot8 with the same result.  The result was "Not Recognized At All".  The other two board seem to be OK.

To answer the question about the computer wouldn't boot, when I initially placed the cards in the same slots that I removed them from I turned the computer.  The green and amber led's came only and stayed on with no display.  It was as if the internal BUSS was being loaded down.  I removed the cards and the computer booted with no problem as explained earlier in the 11 step process that was listed.   

I look forward to your next reply.  I just what to understand what happened so that I may be able to prevent, if possible, whatever it was from happening again.

Regards,

Scott 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(7,690 Views)

It sounds like you could potentially have faulty hardware on your hands.  If you would like to go through the steps for repair, you can view the policies here:

http://www.ni.com/services/warranty_repair_policies.htm

For information on how to send a board in for repair, here is a KnowledgeBase Article:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/5B6448ED65EA711186256A3700800C67

If you have any questions, feel free to call in to National Instruments Support.

Nick

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 8 of 9
(7,651 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Scott754

Hi Nick,

Sorry for the delay.  Our local Field Engineer came by for a visit and we talked about the problem will this board.  After our initial discussion and a brief tour of our facility, we dropped by my office.  I showed her the board in question and I happened to notice a burned area around CR1 and F1, which seems to be the +5V output of the PXI-6509.   I went one step further, even though I don't have a schematic, and check around.  Non of the '245' drivers were shorted, which was a good thing.  I did notice that F2 (4A Fuse) measured approximately 28 ohms, which would explain the problem.  Through my local Field Engineer, we discovered that the board is still under warranty and will be sending the board in for repair.  Thank you for your assistance with this posting and hopefully everything will come together in the end whether it gets fixed or is replaced.

Regards,

Scott

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(7,472 Views)