From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCIe-6509 register vs port

I'm re-designing an application that used PC-DIO-96 and PC-DIO-24 boards in a DOS PC to communication with a custom built hardware box. I believe the boards were used to control solid state relays in the box. I've found the original code (in BASIC) and values were written to port registers.

We are replacing the PC-DIO boards with PCIe-6509 cards in Windows 10 system and want to develop the new application in LabVIEW. Do I still need to read/write to registers or can I read/write to ports?

If I must use registers then does that mean I must use the MHDDK? If so, the objects are not listed as Win10 camptible http://www.ni.com/gate/gb/GB_EVALMHDDK/US

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,631 Views)

Since you are using LabVIEW, just use the DAQmx API. It is fairly simple.  With the 6509, you can read/write 8-bit ports or lines depending on your requirements.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 2
(2,596 Views)