Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI 6534 not found anymore

Hi all,

I had a PCI 6534 plugged into a Linux machine running OpenSUSE 11.2 with a realtime patch. It was working earlier this year using the NI-DAQmx 8.0.2, but ever since it was transfered to another machine (running Windows with LabView 2011) and back, it stopped working. I tried to put it back to the Windows machine to see if there was anything I could do through MAX, but it was not successful. Also tried running updateNIDrivers without any luck.

lspci finds the card

nilsdev does not return anything

lsdaq can't be found in the system

all modules seem to be up and running according to https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-15450

I'm working on reinstalling the drivers now. Any help is welcome.

Edit:

"uname -a": Linux grable20 2.6.33.7.2-rt30-0.1-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Mon Mar 19 10:32:32 EDT 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

running "nidaqmxconfig --export config" as in http://forums.ni.com/t5/Digital-I-O/nidaqmxconfig-gives-error-2147220712/m-p/100 7441/highlight/true... gives "Error -2147220721"

running "DAQmxTestPanels" gives

"Can't load LabVIEW runtime library /usr/local/lib/liblvrt.so.8.0

libOSMesa.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Edit:

Tried reinstalling NI-DAQmx 8.0.2, but nothing changed.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(6,235 Views)

Hi luk51000,

It is first worth noting that although we have available downloads for DAQmx on Linux, it is not officially maintained in any way, so I would first recommend moving to a supported driver set (at least for troubleshooting purposes), such as DAQmx Base 3.5:

NI-DAQmx Base 3.5 - SUSE, RedHat, Scientific Linux - http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/2893/lang/en

A couple of comments/questions:

@luk51000 wrote:
I tried to put it back to the Windows machine to see if there was anything I could do through MAX, but it was not successful.

Do you mean the card no longer works on your Windows machine either?  Or do you mean there was nothing to do in MAX that would help your Linux issue?

@luk51000 wrote:

running "DAQmxTestPanels" gives

"Can't load LabVIEW runtime library /usr/local/lib/liblvrt.so.8.0

libOSMesa.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

This sounds like a corrupt install.  I would recommend uninstalling all of your National Instruments Software and then reinstall only the bare minimum of what you need to test your card.  This would include DAQmx Base 3.5, which I linked above.

Regards,

Regards,
Chris Elliott
x36772
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(6,216 Views)

Thanks for the response.

It is first worth noting that although we have available downloads for DAQmx on Linux, it is not officially maintained in any way, so I would first recommend moving to a supported driver set (at least for troubleshooting purposes), such as DAQmx Base 3.5:

- I DAQmx 8.0.2 was supposed to support OpenSUSE 11.2. That's one of the reasons for this choice of OS. Or are you saying the support for that version is over? Or even that you only support the DAQmx Base libraries?

Do you mean the card no longer works on your Windows machine either?  Or do you mean there was nothing to do in MAX that would help your Linux issue?

- The second case. The card was functional under Windows, performing a VI equivalent to the C code we want to run under linux.

This sounds like a corrupt install.  I would recommend uninstalling all of your National Instruments Software and then reinstall only the bare minimum of what you need to test your card.  This would include DAQmx Base 3.5, which I linked above.

- We did this with DAQmx 8.0.2, several times. I guess trying DAQmx Base 3.5 won't hurt. We're just trying to avoid reinstalling the OS.

--

Lucas Oliveira

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(6,213 Views)

Hi Luk51000,

DAQmx on all Linux distributions is no longer maintained.  This means that the driver is not actively developed and lacks bug fixes and other important updates.  At the time of release for any given version of DAQmx, it was tested and verified to work with supported Linux distributions.  We stopped creating DAQmx drivers that supported Linux after DAQmx 8.0.2 (current build is 9.6 - for Windows only).

In addition to uninstalling/reinstalling DAQmx, please uninstall any remaining National Instruments software on your machine.  For example, your error indicates to me that you are using the LabVIEW Run-Time Engine.  This should be uninstalled too, along with anything else from us.  This will give us a clean slate to rule out most software corruption possibilities (except for a format).

Have you performed any system updates on your openSUSE machine since the card last worked?  You said it has been several months since you last used this hardware on this system, so it is possible an OS update caused the DAQmx driver to stop working with your kernel.  Moving to an actively maintained driver such as DAQmx Base will help us in the troubleshooting process.

Do you have any other NI hardware you can test on your Linux machine?  What version of NI-KAL do you have?

Regards,

Regards,
Chris Elliott
x36772
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(6,208 Views)

DAQmx on all Linux distributions is no longer maintained.  This means that the driver is not actively developed and lacks bug fixes and other important updates.  At the time of release for any given version of DAQmx, it was tested and verified to work with supported Linux distributions.  We stopped creating DAQmx drivers that supported Linux after DAQmx 8.0.2 (current build is 9.6 - for Windows only).

In addition to uninstalling/reinstalling DAQmx, please uninstall any remaining National Instruments software on your machine.  For example, your error indicates to me that you are using the LabVIEW Run-Time Engine.  This should be uninstalled too, along with anything else from us.  This will give us a clean slate to rule out most software corruption possibilities (except for a format).

I uninstalled NI-DAQmx and renamed the natinst folder to natinst_bkp, disabling any other NI software that was installed.

Also, I installed NI-DAQmx Base 3.5, rebooted and ran lsdaq, which could now be found on the system. This is what I got:

$ lsdaq

--------------------------------
Detecting National Instruments DAQ Devices
Found the following DAQ Devices:
--------------------------------

$

Have you performed any system updates on your openSUSE machine since the card last worked?  You said it has been several months since you last used this hardware on this system, so it is possible an OS update caused the DAQmx driver to stop working with your kernel.  Moving to an actively maintained driver such as DAQmx Base will help us in the troubleshooting process.

I'm not aware of any system updates. We might have updated some library tough.

Do you have any other NI hardware you can test on your Linux machine?  What version of NI-KAL do you have?

I don't have any other NI hardware to plug on that computer at the moment. Also, I don't know how to check that. I have whatever NI-KAL comes with NI-DAQmx base 3.5.

Chris,

What do you think is the chance of solving this problem by formatting? We didn't do this before because it's probably the most time consuming solution we have. But since this is also taking a considerable amount of time, we might as well give it a try.

--

Lucas Oliveira

BETTII - GFSC - NASA

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(6,143 Views)

I do not see your device listed as among those supported by DAQmx Base.

Chris E., Did you recommend a software solution that will not work?

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(6,130 Views)

Hi luk51000,

Since your card works on other computers, a format should be a catch-all approach to make sure your Linux machine is setup correctly to work with your 6534.  It is hard to say with certainty in case there is something physically wrong with the card, which I am doubting.

In case this does turn into an RMA which requires repair, I would advise that you call our support line at 866 ASK MYNI (275 6964).  This way, we can officially notate all troubleshooting steps in our system in case you need to send the hardware in for repair/replacement.

Before you go forward with the format, if you'd like to try a few more things, here are some suggestions my Linux colleagues have suggested:

1. In case part of DAQmx is still partially installed and interfering with DAQMX Base, please follow these steps and see if any of the INF files are available to edit;

http://ae.natinst.com/public.nsf/web/searchinternal/a3c7200e881696fa862570ad0050e8d0?OpenDocument

2. Can you give me the results of running lsusb -v?

Regards,

Regards,
Chris Elliott
x36772
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(6,127 Views)

I don't understand why lsusb if the card is PCI, but ok.

$ sudo lsusb

(Attached)

$ sudo lspci -k

04:02.0 Class ff00: National Instruments Device 12b0 (rev 01)

-- Edit

I couldn't open the link you gave me.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(6,124 Views)

Hi luk51000,

Yes, lspci, my apologies.  Can you run that in verbose (-v) mode?

Try this link for the guide I mentioned - http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/A3C7200E881696FA862570AD0050E8D0?OpenDocument

Regards,

Regards,
Chris Elliott
x36772
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(6,119 Views)

$ sudo /sbin/lspci -vv

04:02.0 Class ff00: National Instruments Device 12b0 (rev 01)

Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr+ Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-

Status: Cap- 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-

Latency: 64, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes

Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11

Region 0: Memory at f7805000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

Region 1: Memory at f7804000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

That guide makes reference for when both modules are loaded by the system. lsmod only shows NI-DAQmx Base's modules, so I don't think that's the case.

Even tough, when I tried doing this, couldn't find the refered folder (removed when I uninstalled nidaqmx).

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(6,116 Views)