Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI 6518 windows 7 Sleep Issues

Hi,

I have a PCI 6518 that I am communicating with using 2010 Q1 LV2009 and drivers on windows 7.

The card is working fine until the computer goes to sleep. When the PC wakes up my software is still working but the card does not appear to be responding. If I close my software and open up MAX, it tells me the digital inputs are all high and the outputs are all low. I have probed the inputs with a multimeter and they are sitting low. If I adjust the digital outputs in MAX they do not change on the cards terminals. Rebooting windows fixes the issue, but is there a way to fix the cards inputs/outputs without rebooting? I would still like the PC to be able to sleep.

Thanks,

Brett 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(5,202 Views)

Hello,

Please provide the following information:

1. NI DAQmx driver version

2. How are your power settings configured? (a screenshot would be best)

Regards,

Ai M

Applications Engineer

National Intruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(5,177 Views)

The daqmx driver version is 8.9.5f7

Power settings are as per the screenshot, they are the default power settings.

power settings.png 

Cheers,

Brett J 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(5,150 Views)

Hello,

An example of the requested information has been included below; navigate to "Change advanced power settings." Make appropriate changes to refelect your application or post the settings if you have any questions.

Ali.JPG  Ali2.JPG 

Thank you.

Regards,

Ali M

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

Message Edited by Ali M on 03-04-2010 10:30 AM
Message Edited by Ali M on 03-04-2010 10:32 AM
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(5,121 Views)

Hi Ali,

Below is a screenshot of the power settings you require.

power_settings.png

Cheers,

Brett 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(5,083 Views)

Hello Bret,

After how long does the hardware stop responding when the computer goes to sleep? For further clarification, what task(s) are you running using the 6518? e.g DI/DO. Also, please elaborate on the part where you stated your software was still working but the card does not appear to be responding. What is the status of the code that uses the 6518? Do you get an error message? 

Thank you,

Regrads,

Ali M

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

Message Edited by Ali M on 03-10-2010 06:48 PM
Message Edited by Ali M on 03-10-2010 06:51 PM
Message Edited by Ali M on 03-10-2010 06:52 PM
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(5,057 Views)

Hi Ali,

I have yet to test what state the hardware is in when the computer goes to sleep. The hardware is not working when the computer is wakes up from a sleep.

I am running both DI and DO tasks.

The LabVIEW software is still in a running state when the computer wakes from sleep. The section of code using the 6518 does not report any errors and appears to function as normal although it tells me that all DI are high and all DO are low. If I set values in the code the software does not return an error, but the physical output does not change.

The same issue occurs in Measurement and Automation Explorer when running Test panels. All digital inputs are high and digital outputs are low, changing an output does not change the voltage on the line.

Cheers,

Brett 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(5,052 Views)

Brett,

Have you tried resetting the card in MAX after the computer wakes up from sleep mode?  This can be done by right clicking the card in MAX and selecting Reset Device.  It might be worth a shot to try that out and see if the card starts behaving normally again.

Kyle A.
National Instruments
Senior Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(5,031 Views)

Hi,

I came across this problem again (Now on windows 10).

Once waking from sleep mode the I/O on the 6518 is stuck in the last state before sleeping.

In order to get the card to respond again I need to:

1. Stop the software

2. Reset the 6518 through Max

3. Start the software

If I only stop restart the software all inputs are read as high in both MAX and the software.

If I restart the 6518 through max without stopping and starting the software the I/O is still unresponsive.

Is this expected behaviour?

So far we have resolved the problem by preventing the PC from sleeping.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,946 Views)

HI Brett_J,

Did you ever get a solution for the problem on Windows 7?  Also, if you have other NI hardware, have you encountered similar problems with other devices?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(3,897 Views)