Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ni-DAQ driver with 64 bit OS?

We are currently using a PCI 6533 board with Windows XP (32 bit).

Software is written in Delphi (32 bit) using an older Ni-DAQ.

A hardware upgrade is on the way with either XP 64 bit or Windows 7, 64 bit.

As far as I have found, XP 64 bit is NOT supported by any Ni-DAQ. Or ... ?

We have another thing running on that PC requiring a very old standard I/O port driver.

I have now found InpOut64, which so far runs OK on XP-64. Win 7 has not yet been tested. (No platform available)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(6,366 Views)

Hi walker1

At National Instruments we have the old NI-DAQ driver and a newer reviewed version of it called DAQmx.

The DAQmx is supporting 64-bit Operating Systems from version 8.9 (both Vista and 7), but I will recommend using the latest version 9.4mx which does support your NI-6533. No DAQmx driver supports Windows XP 64-bit.

The NI-DAQ driver only supports up to Windows XP 32bit, it does not (officially) support Windows Vista or Windows 7, and it does not support 64-bit Operating Systems.

For further investigation of driver and hardware support take a look at the following resource:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/6910#5

Best regards

Anders Rohde

Application Engineer

National Instruments, DK

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(6,345 Views)

Hi,

As my old machine is spolit, so I get the new machine (win7x64) and I when try to install the NI 7.3 installer, I cant find the NI6508 DAQ hardware.

I tried to Installed the latest version 9.8, the hardware is found but I cant use the CWDAQ.OCX.

I read up the forum, it say that I will need to use DAQmx on x64 machine. But apparently I cant use my existing code based on the OCX.

How do I go about it without changing my VB6 code (as it is done by other people). 

Best Regards,

Jeremy

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(5,234 Views)

Hi Jeremy

Seems like you have used the old traditional DAQ driver to develop you application. Unfortunatly that driver stopped to be supported long time ago.

At NI we have made a workaround to make it run at Windows Vista, 7 and 8 which you can find here, but it will only support 32-bit versions of the operating system. As mentioned in the article.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/8EC9E81C3DE4E619862573930083BD7A

So if Windows 7 64-bit is a hard requirement for your application, then you will need to use the new DAQmx driver which is the replacement for the Traditional DAQ. The Application Programming Interface (API) have though changed. Which means you will have to update the driver calls in the VB6 code.

So to sum up:

There is no workaround to get you software to run on Win7 x64 without updating the VB6 code. My proposals is:

1) Downgrade to Win7 32bit and run the existing code

2) Stay on Win7 64bit, update driver to DAQmx, and update the VB6 code to the newest API calls.

Hope this clears up the confusion.

Best Regards

Anders Rohde

Platinum Applications Engineer

National Instruments Denmark

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(5,230 Views)

HI,

Do you have a wrapper code in VB so that the functionalities/code implemented for OCX can be the same to minimize the changes require

Best Regards,

Jeremy

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(5,196 Views)
NI has only ever created a wrapper around DAQmx using LabVIEW. The wrapper was buggy and only supported a fraction of the obsolete driver functions. This isn't available any longer so getting one for vb it's not at all likely. Since you have a simple digital device with only software timing, the conversion should not be very difficult.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(5,192 Views)

Can I check with you which version of the NI DAQ support the OCX in Win7(32bits)? I tried to install NI DAQ 9.6, it tell me that the CWDAQ.OCX not found.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(5,160 Views)

Hi Jeremy

There is only one special vesion of the NI-DAQ driver that is supported on Windows 7 (v. 7.5). That one you can find here:

http://www.ni.com/download/traditional-ni-daq-legacy-7.5/4498/en/

(This is also in the previous KnowledgeBase I posted).

Best Regards

Anders Rohde

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(5,157 Views)

Hello.

I need to upgrade mi application from XP to WIN 7, but PC-DIO-96 is not recognized on my NI-MAX, only PCI-6025E, GPIB devices, etc.

I have installed NI-DAQ 7.5 (traditional) but is not working. I tried with NI-DAQmx 9.8,9.9,14.1 without success.

Any advance??

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(4,723 Views)

Hi Victor_valdivia,

What version of MAX do you have installed? The PCI-DIO-96 will use the Traditional DAQ drivers, not the DAQmx drivers. NI DAQ 7.5 is the latest traditional DAQ driver (I think). Does the PCI crad still work in the old machine? I assume that you have followed the instructions as shown here in the manual for the device: http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/374938b.pdf. Are you able to see the device in the Windows device manager?

Thanks,

DanC12

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(4,684 Views)