From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI PXI 6534

Hello,

I have built PXI systems that uses PXI 6534 for OWI communication with my Chip. I have written the software which uses this sytem for test and calibration. I am using PXI 2530 for switching the power and OWI pin from dut to dut. Recently, I heard that NI is dicontinuing the production of the PXI 6534 i/o card. I am wondering If my company needs to build new system, what I shouldI use in place of 6534 that don't require changing my software.

Regards,

Mansoor

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,058 Views)

Hi Mansoor,

if you don't need 20MHz, you can go for the 6535 which is said to be software compatible.

I think there's even an adaptor cable available to use "old" 6534 cabling

Hope this helps

Oli

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,050 Views)

Hello Mansoor,

Thank you for bringing this issue to the forums. Yes, you are correct that we will be discontinuing the production of the PXI 6534. NI recommends that you use the new PXIe-6536/36/37 Digital Devices. Here is a product page for the PXIe-6536 which has a 25 MHz Digital I/O. 

NI PXIe-6536: http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/203682

You can only use this board if you have a PXI Hybrid Chassis or a PXIe Chassis. What chassis do you have?

Thank you,

Vimal Fernandez

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,040 Views)

Hi Vimal,

We have PXI 1042 and PXI 1044 chassis. I don't think PXIe 6536/37 would work with these chassis, but I can use PXI 6535. Am I right?

Mansoor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,032 Views)

Hi Mansor - 

Vimal is OOO today so I'll be helping you with your post.  To answer your question, you are correct that neither of those chassis will work with any PXIe modules.  

Speaking of the second question, the 6535 is a PXIe module as well and won't work in a PXI chassis.  The discontinued PXI and PCI 6533/34 replacements are in the PCIe and PXIe form factors only.  

I will apologize again for the abrupt end-of-life notice you received on these devices, it was an unforeseen supply issue with some of the parts on the board that caused the sudden obsolesce.  

If you are looking into potentially purchasing another chassis (PXIe), then we would be happy to discuss your options and the best fit for your current and potential needs.  

Regards,

Ben N.
Applications Engineering
ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,017 Views)

Mansor - 

I was actually notified right after I posted the above reply that the PXI-6534 was actually REMOVED from EOL status.  Some additional stock of the necessary parts were found and we will continue to sell the boards for a projected 2-4 years.  

To answer your original question, there isn't really a drop in replacement for the PXI-6534, if you used DAQmx to program this device then the only transition gap would be from PXI to PXIe.  

Just a note:  If your application was programmed with Traditional-DAQ (Legacy) then the boards you replace the 6534 with (PXIe-6535/36/37) would not work with your application...without being reprogrammed.  

I hope this helps answer your question, let us know if we can assist any further.    

Regards,

Ben N.
Applications Engineering
ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,007 Views)

Benjamin,

From a software perspective, are the 6533 and 6534 the same? Or will I have to do some software modifications?

Regards,

Ilham

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,728 Views)

You should be able to not modify your code.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,713 Views)