Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 6501 to pulse 1600Hz

Hello,

I am planning to buy NI low cost multi-function DAQ - NI 6501.

In my application, I would like to generate a pulse train (+5V and 0V - TTL ) with 1600Hz to 2000Hz (50% duty cycle is fine ) to control the speed of a stepper motor. Is it possible to generate pulses in that freq range with the help of NI 6501. This seems the one I can afford now. However, can I achieve my task with this hardware.

Advise and suggestions are appreciated.

Best,

Abhi

Abhilash S Nair

Research Assistant @ Photonic Devices and Systems lab

[ LabView professional Development System - Version 11.0 - 32-bit ]

LabView Gear:
1. NI PXI-7951R & NI 5761
2. The Imaging Source USB 3.0 monochrome camera with trigger : DMK 23UM021

OPERATING SYSTEM - [ MS windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP-1 ]
CPU - [Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40Ghz ]
MEMORY - [ 16.0 GB RAM ]
GPU - [ NVIDIA GeForce GT 530 ]
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,361 Views)
Sorry, no. As you can see from the specs, the 6501 is strictly software timed. You would be lucky to get 1000 samples per second and they would be subject to quite a bit of jitter. Look for a hardware timed board.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,357 Views)

Thanks Dennis,

I looked through the various DIO modules available from NI. But apart from PCI,PCIe and RIO modules they dont seem to have any hardware timed boards in USB.

I am just looking for a DIO that can give out 2KHz max pulse rate to run my stepper motor. Is there any product that is low on budget and still meet this requirement ? 

Thanks

Abhi

Abhilash S Nair

Research Assistant @ Photonic Devices and Systems lab

[ LabView professional Development System - Version 11.0 - 32-bit ]

LabView Gear:
1. NI PXI-7951R & NI 5761
2. The Imaging Source USB 3.0 monochrome camera with trigger : DMK 23UM021

OPERATING SYSTEM - [ MS windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP-1 ]
CPU - [Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40Ghz ]
MEMORY - [ 16.0 GB RAM ]
GPU - [ NVIDIA GeForce GT 530 ]
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,334 Views)
The multifunction devices such as the M series have hardware timed I/O. Since I don't your definition of "low on budget", you would be best served by contacting your local NI Sales Engineer.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,330 Views)

The 6501 is cheap, but it's all software-timed... which means there's a lot of limitations to it in terms of speed and accuracy.

Might look into a 6211, those have some hardware timing capabilities, and the X-series DAQs have morec apabilities on the digital I/O's. 

But to do what you want to with a 6501 .... I don't think it's gonna happen.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,323 Views)

To add to this, also consider the current drive your motor requires.  Many digital cards may not offer the current you need for your load.  Don't short-change yourself trying to cut corners!

http://www.ni.com/motion/

Regards,

Regards,
Chris Elliott
x36772
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,209 Views)