Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MyRIO UART

Hi,

I am a new user of NI myRIO.  I am trying to reproduce the UART demo program. The project is attached.

In the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FMnkFDsGQs, the UART works perfectly.

However it doesn't receive any characters in my program. I set both the write and read block with same frame parameters.

RIO device works also fine.

Somebody can tell me what has happened to my program (UARTVI.vi)?

Thx

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(7,512 Views)

Hi there,

I am Joshua Young and I am from the Application Engineering department at NI UK. I hope that I can assist you in solving your issue.

After looking at your VI code I couldn’t find any issues that would cause the example not to work, however it was not located within a project and therefore would not get compiled to the myRIO device. See the attachment to see how my project looked.

Would you also happen to be using the connector breakout board supplied with the myRIO? If so, be careful that you are not using the digital IO header pins 10 and 14 as these do not correspond to the pin out of the connector. The header on the opposite side of the breakout has dedicated UART pins to use with RX and TX. Using these and your code, I managed to deploy it on to a myRIO and it worked perfectly.

Just a note for the future, It is also good practise to create an indicator or a simple error handler on the final error terminal so that you can see if any errors occur. This makes troubleshooting easier as you can search for any error codes or messages. If you are still encountering the issue then please get back to me with any error codes and I can assist you further.

I hope this solves your issue.

Regards,

Joshua Young
Applications Engineering
National Instruments UK

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(7,392 Views)

Hiya again,

I haven't heard from you in a couple of days, it would be great to hear how your getting on.

If your issue hasn't been solved or you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Regards,

Joshua Young

Applications Engineer

National Instruments UK

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(7,362 Views)

I think the problem is that he forget to connect the TX and RX pin on MXP  together. I had the same issue.

I have an problem for you too about UART connection. It is about the arduino UNO(Tx) to MyRIO(RX).

The link is the page where I submitted my question. currently I don't have any good answer for it. Can you help me ? Thx

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Instrument-Control-GPIB-Serial/Arduino-MyRIO-UART-Issue/td-p/3175252

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(7,360 Views)

You must connect the TX and Rx pin on the MXP port.  I had the same problem, probably because in the video, the UART block are set with the same label. you will think they are internally connected.  Actually it is not.

I am wondering why the hell these video poster didn't mention anything about it. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(7,354 Views)

It is always the simple things that catch you out. 

The video shows the connections needed at 28 secs in. 

I will have a look and see what I can come up with.

Regards,

Joshua Young

Applications Engineer

National Instruments UK

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(7,352 Views)