Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More than 32 channels of hardware timed DO? 24V Sourcing would be great.

Hi,

For several projects, I've used a NI-9476 to directly actuate solenoids, taking advangtage of the hardware-timed channels (the 2kHz rate was fine, but wouldn't want to go lower than 1kHz).  It appears that you cannot place multiple 9476 modules in a chassis and trigger/synchronize their outputs.  Can someone confirm?

If that is the case, what is next best option to have more than 32 hardware-timed digital outputs (at ~1kHz)?  Sourcing current would be great, but if need-be, I can place circuity in between the module(s) and solenoids.  Thanks.

-Joe

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,345 Views)

Hi Joe,

Give this KB a read, it goes over how many HW-timed tasks you can run per chassis/module and why.

In your case, channel expansion might help. Just configure the channels from both modules to be one task. 

Ren H.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
Message 2 of 4
(3,327 Views)

Hi Ren,

Thanks for the reply.

To be clear, are you saying that I can place two 9476 modules in a multi-module chassis (like a cDAQ-9174), and create a single task that writes to both module's outputs?

I simulated it in MAX and it seemed to work.  I guess I assumed that this wasn't possible since the 9476 exposes no routing, and lists no start trigger types.  Thanks.

-Joe

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,294 Views)

Hi Joe,

Yes, I believe that is what Ren is saying. The channel expansion article that Ren pointed you to outlines how to accomplish that and provides some caveats for each device.

Nolan H.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,272 Views)