From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measuring V and I at the output of the regulator

Hello all,

I have a TPS62361B (http://www.ti.com/product/TPS62361B) switching regulator from texas instruments on my embedded system. The regulator does voltage scaling from 0.5V to 1.77V in 10mV steps. The output of the regulator goes to the ARM processor.  I would like to measure the voltage and current at the output of the regulator. I have NI 9215 for voltage and NI 9227 for current measurement.

1) Can I use them to measure the voltage and current at the output of the regulator?

2) Considering that the ARM processor may run sometimes at pretty low voltages when doing DVFS what is the recommended strategy to measure V and I?

3) How should the actual probes be connected? I am novice on the electronics side. So some handholding needed.

Thank you very much for your time.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,910 Views)

The first major issue I see here is resolution.  The 9215 only works at a 10V range.  So you are only using around 10% of the range.  That is a lot of error.  So you will want an amplifier to take your 1.77V up to 10V.  And the 9227 will be major overkill unless your ARM is actually drawing 5A.  Hopefully Lynn or Henrik will find this thread to help you along here (they are the two major experts on this board for signal conditioning).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,903 Views)

crossrulez@ NI9215 datasheet says ±10 V measurement range, 16-bit resolution. So, my understanding is, it should be able to measure low voltages like 500mv to 1.77V. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I really hope that Lynn and Henrik will find this thread :-).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,900 Views)

Lynn and Henrik@ bumping this thread. I would like to bring this thread to your notice.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,873 Views)