Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview controlled NI Hardware to output TTL pulses

Hello

I have an MCA card that takes TTL pulses to Start and Stop itself. I am looking for a suitable NI hardware that I can control with Labview and when certain condition is met, the LAbview will tell the hardware to output the TTL pulse.

Will NI USB 6501 solve the purpose?

saurabh

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,141 Views)

How fast and accurate of pulses do you need?  The 6501 only has software timed outputs.  This means that your code has to explicitly write a TRUE to the line and then write a FALSE for a positive pulse.  Being software timed, you will not have consistent pulse lengths.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,137 Views)

The MCA card takes TTL pulses, so +5V (FALSE) should do. What I am trying is that Labview checks a temperature controller. everytime the temperature is equal to the setpoint, it will 'ask' the 6501 to output +5V TTL pulse. This pulse will fire up the MCA.

About the stability, i dont know. I have tried it with a DC source of +5V , the pulsing done by touching the output wire to the MCA port. And it works. Please dont ask me to LabVIEW the DC power supply, now!

I dont have the whole manual now, but the related part goes like-

"Start with DigIO Input Dig.4" and then press the start button.
Acquisition will start when you short cut the DigIO port 4 with ground, and
stop when you release the short cut. The DigIO port has a pull-up
resistor to +5V. If you want the opposite behaviour that it should start
with +5V, check "Invert".

This DigIO port is the one I tried with the DC source.

thanks

Saurabh

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,133 Views)

It sounds like the timing of the pulse doesn't really matter if you are doing it by hand with a power supply.  As I stated above, simply write the high value to the DIO and sometime later write the low value.  The 6501 will work just fine.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,131 Views)

Hi, I would like to output TTL pulse to trigger our laser source.  Does USB 6501 work well for this function?  the frequency is less than 1 Khz.  Looking forward to your answer.

Thank you very much for guidance.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,032 Views)