Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview PLC communication

I have a program that needs to communicate with the PLC. However, there is only 1 bit left on my DAQ board to accomplish this. (PXI6052-E) I need to send a series of floating point values across this bit in some sort of pulse train. Anyone have any ideas on how to accomplish this? (Using the serial port is not an option)
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,233 Views)
Curious why you can not use your serial port?? How about a USB/Serial converter, or a USB/AO board?? How about E-net? Some PLC's will take a direct E-Net connection. There are many interface options, depending on the Brand and Model of your PLC. If you wish to supply some further details, possibly I, or someone else on this forum could help out.

Have a nice day,

Dave Green
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,227 Views)
You cannot use the DIO lines on your PXI 6052 card to accomplish this. These lines are software timed therefore you cannot send a pulse train out on them. What I would suggest is an NI PXI 6533 or 6534 card which is a high-speed, 32-bit, parallel digital I/O interface. Here is a link to the PXI 6534 for more information:
http://sine.ni.com/apps/we/nioc.vp?cid=3530〈=US

Have a great day!

Jen
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,215 Views)
There are approximately 40 machines that would have to have hardware upgrades or new wiring done. As these are all in assembly/component lines, rewiring to add serial communications would be a major undertaking on each line.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,210 Views)
I can appreciate how difficult it can be to get access to production machines. I had a similar situation a couple of years ago, and had a solution all mapped out and ready to present to my customer. Unfortunately, his business took a turn for the worse, and I never got the opportunity to implement my plans.
If you think about it, every PLC has some form of serial program port. I spec'd out a system that used an isolated E-Net backbone, with an E-Net-to-serial port server dropped at each PLC. You can then use an OPC server on a central computer with Labview to communicate with the PLC's through their programming port(s). I gave this quite a bit of thought at the time, and this appeared to be the best solution.
If you decide to try it, let me know how you make out, as I said, I never did get to implement the program.

Good luck

Dave
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,200 Views)

i want to communicate delta plc with labview by rs 232 or rs 485  i have been working on it for 3 weeks , anybody could give me a hint

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,397 Views)

You seem to have found avery old thread of mine to tie into. I have since retired, and gotten out of automation, but if you will be patient wth me and humor my sometimes longish response intervals, I will attenpt to assist you.

First, I will need some additional detail. What do you wish to send/recieve between Labview and the PLC? Is it control commands, process data, or are you trying to read/write program data? Have you checked into availability of OPC com capability? From a very cursory look into the communication section of a manual for Delta programming that I found on line, it appears that you set the PLC up to com ASCII on a serial port. Is this what you are attempting?

If you wish, you can e-mail me at

ve3eoq@gmail.com. I can respond more readily by e-mail,and I suspect many back-and-forth coms will be necessary.

Have a nice day,

Dave.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,378 Views)

thanx for helping me dave,i have mailed you few details,

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,367 Views)