From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In field updates of the sbRio9606

I am looking at using an sbRio board in a deployable system however I'm not sure how I could provide updates to systems in the field.

Is it possible to perform in field updates of the sbRio9606 without having the complete NI environment installed at that site?

A simple procedure via a tool or via ftp/web page for example would be great.

many thanks for any suggestions / feedback

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,970 Views)

Hi BeeTee, 

You need to have your SbRio connected to the internet. You can physically connect your SbRio to a router which needs to be set into AP mode. ( Access Point Mode). You can then communicate with it wirelessly from your computer. Once you've got your connection established, you can perform your field updates via ftp or otherwise as you suggested. 

Let me know if this helps. 

Best Regards,

Shazil M. 

Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK & Ireland

Shazil M.
CLAD
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,950 Views)

Hi BeeTee,

I'll try to tack on some details.

In short, you do not need the full NI development software suite on a PC to update Single-Board RIO units in the field.

Any PC with network access to the device can update the application image on the device.  One tool I would recommend to this procedure is the NI Replication and Deployment Utility.

The RAD utility can take compiled system images and distrubute them on networked devices. Using this tool to upgrade images assumes that you have an identical device available in your development system to build, test, and capture the image from.

With proper software architecture, the Single-Board RIO can also be programmed to recognize when a new application update should be downloaded from a USB key.  This article demonstrates a reference design for creating a Single-Board RIO system that can be updated in the field via USB memory device.

Finally, compiled applications can also be readily copied onto deployed sytems via the onboard FTP server or securely with WebDAV

Regards,

Spex
National Instruments

To the pessimist, the glass is half empty; to the optimist, the glass is half full; to the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be has a 2x safety factor...
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,944 Views)

Many thanks ShazilM and Spex. I'll dig further into these - this sounds very constructive.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,939 Views)

Sounds great! Do let us know if it works.

Best Regards,

Shazil M.

Applications Engineer

Shazil M.
CLAD
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,925 Views)