cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How use USB with VISA resource name?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, 

I'm new at LabVIEW and I'm working on a code that has to acquire data from a measurement device.This device only has a USB output so I have to work with it. As far as know the block that is used to refer a external port is VISA resource name. I have installed a driver that recognizes the serial ports, and they appear in the list of VISA resource file at front panel. So I figured that installing the product's USB driver so the USB's ports would appear. I installed and nothing of USB ports. I don't know it is that simple or working with USB ports is a little bit harder. I've tried a lot of things and nothing worked so here I am.

PS: I have noticed that the driver's version is 64 bits (my pc is 64 bits)  and my LabVIEW version is 32 bits, so could that be the problem?

The device by the way is Digital Analyzer WT500, Yokogawa.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(9,249 Views)

Hello VictorLacerda,

you should use the Instrument Driver available by Yokogawa. To find it, click on Help>>Find Instruments Drive... on the Getting Started window.
The NI Instrument Drive Finder dialog box will appear. If your instrument already be connected on your computer, this will appear as Connected Instruments, on left of the window. If not, choose "Yokogawa" for Manufacturer ComboBox and enter "WT500" as value for Additional Keywords. Click on Search Button. So install the correct driver.

I hope this help you.

Ricardo Ramos
Account Manager
+5511989658513 | ni.com

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(9,238 Views)

Ricardo,

there are no NI drivers for it.

Victor,

Yokogawa has LabVIEW drivers. And yes, USB is much more complicated. If the USB connection is designed to emulate a serial port, then the windows driver will configure it as a com port and as you connect/disconnect the cable, the com port will appear/disappear in MAX and in windows device manager. If the instrument and USB is designed as a USBTMC device (USB Test and Measurement Class), then the windows driver from Yokogawa will configure the port as that and a USB connection will appear in MAX and in device manager. It does not make any sense to install a windows driver that creates com ports unless it is the driver from Yokogawa.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(9,228 Views)

Hi, Ricardo

Thank you for your post. I did what you said. My device was conneceted but it wasn't shown as Conneceted Instruments so I installed Instrument Driver and "ykwt500" appeared as Installed Instrument Driver, so it was succeesful. After this still there are no device indicated as "Connected Instruments" and my PC is recognizing the device, so I believe that there is no reason for not being indicated as connected instrument.

PS:After all done, should the USB port appear in the list of VISA resource name?

Thank you in advance, 

Victor Lacerda da Silva
Power Electronics Institute
Federal University of Santa Catarina 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(9,226 Views)

The LabVIEW driver has absolutely nothing at all to do with the instrument being seen in MAX. It has everything to do with the sort of windows device driver you install and what you have explained is pretty confusing.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(9,222 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author VictorLacerda

Victor,

the suggestion of Instrument Driver is to make more easy using the instrument. 

Normally, you should install a windows drive from manufacturer (if it isn't installed, the instrument will appear like a pendrive in device manager) and the NI VISA. But for some instruments, the manufacturers have API's that uses NI VISA to communicate with your equipments.

So check if your instrument appear correctly in device manager (as indicated by Yokogawa). If not, check if Yokogawa has an appropriated driver for this instrument and install it. 

Is it clear?

If you prefer, contact NI Brazil Support by website or by phone (11)3149-3149 Ext 3.

Ricardo Ramos
Account Manager
+5511989658513 | ni.com

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(9,208 Views)

I succeeded! 

I uninstalled the yogokawa's USB driver (the first thing that I did was installing this) and reinstalled VISA 4.6 from National, just to make sure. Then maganed the Windows to search for a driver and it recognized a NI's driver as the best one, I installed that and at the Device Maganer  the device was shown as Test and Measurement Device. After that the USB port appeared in the list of VISA resource file.

You all have been very helpful, thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(9,201 Views)

Hello,

I have experience how to connecting Oscilloscope DL6054 YOKOGAWA using USB INSTR class. it is easy to display on PC. We need Driver Instument from YOKOGAWA and find the USB detection by I/O controlling. then modified example program from YOKOGAWA oscilloscope. Thank you NI and YOKOGAWA.

I still learn more deepth about LabView. its very amazing.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(8,472 Views)

Hi,

You should download the drivers from Yokogawa (USB and LabVIEW driver at Ylink) for this instrument to get it working.

Kees

Next time please start e new thread for a new topic

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(8,469 Views)