From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to revert NI-PAL for SCXI-1200 compatibility

We have a legacy system with Labview 6.1 and DAQ 6.9.3 on Windows XP/Professional.  Our 4 port RS-485 PCI card nolonger works and an exact replacement was not available, so we purchased a replacement RS-422/485 4 port card.  It would not work with the current drivers so we upgraded to NI-SERIAL 3.8 which came with the card.  Once we did this, the SCXI-1200 module in the SCXI-1000 box nolonger can be loaded by the driver (error code 10).  We downgraded to NI-SERIAL 1.8 which works with the new RS-422/485 card, but the SCXI-1200 driver error persists as NI-PAL was not downgraded, it still maintains the Feb 2011 version.  On another coumputer we loaded N-DAQ 6.9.3 and NI-SERIAL 1.8 and the SCXI-1200 driver is happy with the NI-PAL 2005 version that was loaded.  I think if I can revert the Feb 2011 version of NI-PAL (installed via NI-SERIAL 3.8) to the 2005 version of NI-PAL (installed via NI-SERIAL 1.8) everything will work.  Problem is, uninstalling NI-DAQ or NI-SERIAL does not uninstall NI-PAL.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,213 Views)

Jsamm,

Where are you getting this error(in LabVIEW or MAX)?

Could you attach a screen shot of the error?

Is there a description for the error?

I'll need to look into downgrading the NI-PAL driver some more before I can recommend a method. If you can reply back with the information above I can look into your issue some more. 

Kyle Hartley
Senior Embedded Software Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,196 Views)

After the Feb 2011 version of NI-PAL was installed, in device manager the SCXI-1200 device showed an error (yellow circle icon).  When we uninstalled and then reinstalled the SCXI-1200 device the error would occur saying the driver was loaded but could not be started.

I built a new disk with LabView 6.1 and NI-SERIAL 1.8 and all drivers load without errors, but I cannot get the old disk to a workable state.  Perhaps I could uninstall all NI products and reinstall, but I was trying to avoid doing that.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,189 Views)

Can you open up MAX and under software NI-PAL should be listed. What is the version number? I'll try something out on a test machine before I tell you to do anything just so we don't mess up your computer.

Kyle Hartley

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,177 Views)

The NI-PAL version is 1.5.6

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,170 Views)

JSamm,

I tried performing a unstallation using an uninstaller and reinstalled a previous version. It resulted in some of my LabVIEW services to stop running correctly. So probably the quickest solution for you would be to uninstall LabVIEW. 

I believe most of the related files are stored in the system32 directory. 

C:\Windows\System32

If you go there and start typing "nipal" it should go to those files. You can check to make sure they are removed once you have uninstalled LabVIEW. 

Kyle Hartley

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,153 Views)