From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get the output of SMB trigger connector using PCIe-1433?

Dear all,

I want to get the output instead of the default input of SMB trigger connector of PCIe-1433.How should I set the configuration.

Thank you so much!!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,504 Views)

Hi MiniaC,

Welcome to our forums! Not sure if I understood correctly. Would you like to access all the triggers and the rest of DIO of your 1433 board?

If that is the case, you would need to have the NI Camera Link I/O Extension Board (PCIe). More information on the links below:

How Do I Use the NI Camera Link I/O Extension Board?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/B65925FF52A80B7E86257809005C5584

USER GUIDE NI Camera Link I/O Extension Board (PCIe)

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/372736b.pdf

Does that answer your question?

Regards,

Andres G

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(5,486 Views)

Hi glad to see your reply.I don't think I need the extension board.1.png

I would really want to get the output trigger signal from Number3 SMB trigger connector.The manual told me that this connector can be programed to output trigger signal.I just want to know how.How to set the configurations.The dafault configuration of this connector is input mode,which is used to input trigger signal.However,the new camera device I used has an internal trigger.And I cannot adjust it.So I need to get the trigger from the PCIe-1433.I don't want the extension board. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(5,481 Views)

Hi MiniaC,

You do this in LabVIEW, if you take a look at this post they provide a lot of information about how to change the trigger type. Especially look at the fifth post and you will find examples on how to do this.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Scott B.
AE NI
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(5,460 Views)

Thank you.I checked but those examples have been removed and I cannot open that.I do think that's gonna help.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(5,438 Views)

MiniaC,

I apologize that the link was removed. I should have checked more closely before recommending you look at them. However there are some examples that I can point you to that I think will help. If you open LabVIEW then click Help -> Find Examples it will open up the NI Example Finder. At the bottom left corner of the Example Finder you will see a selector that says Hardware. Click on the dropdown menu and select add a device. Find NI PCIe-1433 and add it to the right side. Press OK and then use the dropdown menu to select the device and check the box that says Limit results to hardware. You should then see only a few folders. Go to Hardware Input and Output -> Vision Acquisition -> NI-IMAQ -> Signal Input and Output and you will find a lot of examples about configuring the trigger.

Cheers,

Scott B.
AE NI
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(5,415 Views)

Hi,

I have the problem of changing SMB connector from input (defult) to output. This modification works when using Labview, but the change does not stay when I leave Labview. 

Is it possible to keep the change when not running Labview?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,900 Views)

Timers,

As mentioned in the other forum that you posted this question in, it is recommended to start a new thread if you have a question related to an old post. 

What are you using the SMB connector for outside of LabVIEW? The general way that you would do this is to just have an initialization step in your LabVIEW code and any time you run the code it sets all the correct parameters. If there is a reason you require the connector to stay as an output I am happy to look more into it.

Scott B.
AE NI
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,873 Views)

Hi Scott,

Thank you very much for the reply. I thought my question regarding how to get the SMB connector as an output fits the title of the old thread, so I posted my question here. It appears that many users have the same question.

We use the SMB output signal for triggering light illumination and other devices. There are technical reasons that we want to keep the camera free-running and synchronize other devices with the frame grabbing of the camera.

As explained, we succeeded in initializing the camera and setting the trigger output in LabVIEW (via the Trigger Drive subvi), but the settings do not stay when we leave LabVIEW. 

The problem happens when we want to use other software (not LabVIEW) to capture the image. This frame grabbing software and LabVIEW cannot be run at the same time because they both need access to the camera.

As far as we understand, it requires the access to the camera whenever we want to change the trigger setting. If so, we do not know how to use an non-LabVIEW frame grabbing software while changing the trigger settings. Will an additional I/O board be helpful?

Thank you very much for the help.

Timers

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,870 Views)

Timers,

I have been looking into this and I do not think that this is going to be possible. I will continue to look into this on Monday, but as far as I can tell it will not work. The reason that I don't think you are able to keep the settings is because the framegrabber is not intelligent so cannot save any settings. For that reason you need to be controlling the framegrabber to change any of the settings. You will not be able to control the framegrabber with a 3rd party software.

Scott B.
AE NI
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,854 Views)