Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get ni8451 firmware version

I would like to read the firmware version from several ni8542 devices in my test system.  I can not find any drivers to do this.  I do have the Ni845x.dll and it contains a function called ni8541GetDeviceFwVersion, but I can not find any reference to the function paramters ( I am assuming it would work for an 8452).

Can anyone help with this or suggest an easier way to read the firmware  number from the device?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,327 Views)

A1Penguin,

I would suggest using the Import Shared Library Wizard to create a library of LabVIEW functions after locating the dll and header file.

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361L-01/lvexcodeconcepts/importing_shared_library/

For me, the header was located, among other places, in C:\Program Files(x86)\National Instruments\NI-845x\MS VisualC

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,304 Views)

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply.   Unfortunately, I ran into two problems.  The first one is that the ni8451GetDeviceFwVersion function's header is not defined in the ni845x.h file.   Second, all of the other functions will not let me choose them on the "Slect Functions to Convert" page of the wizard.  I get a message on the right side of the window saying that there are undefined symbols and I can fix the problem by adding preprocessor definitions.   I am really not sure exactly how to do that. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,275 Views)

Penguin,

I was away from my computer for the holidays and I'll need to take a bit of time to look into other ways of finding the firmware version for the 8542, but in the meantime can you explain to me why you are trying to programmatically find out the firmware version of your device?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,208 Views)

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply.  I query the firmware versions of all my instrumentation each time my test software is started.  I have to verify that the configuration of my rack has not changed.  The firmware version allows me to verify that each piece of equipment is present and likely to function the same way it did the previous time.  Frequently when a piece of equipment goes out for calibration, it comes back with an updated firmware version.  When this happens, I need to know about it.  The 8452 will not be going out for calibration, but maintanance over the years could result in units with different firmware being installed. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,168 Views)

A1,

I would look into the System Configuration API in the Measurement I/O palette.  You can open a session, search for hardware and then look for firmware version using a hardware property node (Devices&Chassis.Firmware.FirmwareRevision).  I haven't been able to test this because I do not have an 8452 lying around.

I want to mention though that starting with NI-845x 2.1, the driver will automatically load the proper firmware version onto the NI USB-8452 so checking the driver version you have might also be an option.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,149 Views)