Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effect of 9411 clock frequency on pulse width measurements

I have a project with 9411 differential DIO card installed on a 9033 cRIO. We are measuring pulse widths of a digital signal.

This means we measure the number of clock ticks in our 9033's FPGA between one rising edge and the next. The FPGA in this cRIO has a 40 MHz clock and so a clock tick is 25e-9 seconds. So far so good.

Except the 9411 has a published clock rate of 2 MHz.

So what I want to know is how these two clocks interact to affect my measurement. (The period of the digital signal.)

If the 9411's clock is synchronized to the 9033, then I would expect that my edges would show up to the FPGA only in multiples of 500e-9 seconds regardless of when they occur.

If they are not synchronized, then I would expect the period of several cycles to vary a little but that an average would show some multiple of 500e-9 seconds.

Or possibly some third thing that I haven't even guessed at.

Unfortunately I don't have access to the system right now or I would run some tests and figure which of these 3 it is. So I am turing to the wisdom of the forums.

In short, how do the two clocks interact when I am making a pulse width measurement? How does this interaction affect my pulse width measurement?

FWIW, our high end frequency is 81920 Hz.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,037 Views)

#2.

you can think of it as more of a propagation delay than a sampling rate.

do you need single period measurement or can you use multiple edges to increase your accuracy.

Stu
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,029 Views)

Hi Stu,

Do you mean that the clock limit on the 9411 is because there are X many gates between signal and the FPGA input? And the accumulated delay of those gates limit the max frequency?

This would be great because it would mean that my signal was simply delayed, but otherwise an accurate representation of the signal.

The period of the signal at any given moment is related to another property we are deriving. Measuring the period is the closest we get to having instantaneous values. So having to average is not ideal. Regardless, understanding how the signal is changed getting to the FPGA helps us make the best decision on whatever signal processing we need to do.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,015 Views)

i don't think that it is because of gate logic as much as signal conditioning and part selection.  but the effect is the same.  if you are looking at leading edge to leading edge with enough seperation, then i think you are correct.

the other ramification is it wil miss a transition that is too short (fast transitions)

Stu
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,011 Views)