Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Potentiometer via NI Hardware

Solved!
Go to solution

Does anyone have a quick reference to NI hardware that contains a digital pot? Is there NI hardware that does this?  Can one create a digital pot thru NI hardware?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,943 Views)

You can narrow your search by going to Products & Services>Data Acqusition> Digital I/O. Here is the link

-Ciao 😉

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,927 Views)

still at step 1 here, if NI actually called it a Dig Pot it would be easy find...though ???

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,918 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jonathanupr

Hello Jonathanupr,

I did some research for digital pots that we sell and the only one I found was this one.The 5B series on modules that we created that work on this back plane created by Analog devices.

Also what are you going to use the digital pot for? If you are trying to output a voltage at relatively low current, you might want to consider a DAQ board with analog outputs on this. If you are looking for high current, you could still implement this with an unity gain opamp to boost up the current from another source.

Jim St
National Instruments
RF Product Support Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,887 Views)

This doesn't appear to be a digital potentiometer at all, is it? It looks like a voltage reference which is controlled with resistive input. Is there something that has resistive output that can be controlled by LabVIEW?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,322 Views)

Hi TronixBRS,

Unfortunately, at National Instruments, we do not sell many devices that can programmatically control resistance output like a digital potentiometer (if this is what you are looking for). We do sell the PXIe-4145 and PXIe-4141 that can do programmatic output resistance when used in conjunction with resistors (see link here). Your best bet is probably to get a digital potentiometer and then control it using a multifunction DAQ device.

Hope this helps.

------------------------------
Bill E. | Applications Engineer | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,301 Views)

Here is a simple circuit that uses 2 digital pots and requires a clock signal and an analog voltage input. Pretty slick compared to analog methods.

http://www.maxim-ic.com/app-notes/index.mvp/id/3284

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,289 Views)